F Prot 4

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I know this has been asked million times. But dose any body has any update on it?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

the best advice I have is to just keep checking the f-prot home page here

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I almost had a case of the vapors when I saw the title of this thread. :eek:

"At last!" I thought. "Version 4 is here. It's mine, all mine. Bwa-ha-ha-ha!"

Such a let down to read the actual post. :'(

{The last I heard, Blackcat had word that the beta of FP's version 4 for Windoze wouldn't come out until early in 2005, MAYBE. Sob}

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

LOL...LOL :D You're so funny Bellgamin...I do the same sometimes. It's easy to get pumped up when you're really looking forward to something. Hope it will not be to long my friend. ;)

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Awh...heck! You had me all excited too! I was drooling and ready to uninstall Dr.Web that I just installed so I could get F-Prot 4. But then F-Prot still does not detect the more recent JPEG exploits even after I submitted to them. They could not understand why they should detect it! All other AV detect it...Dr.Web just found 4 or 5 instances of this in my recyle bin. I don't understand F-Prot on this and that is why I did not purchase it when my trial was up. (But I already can see I don't want Dr. Web. It's the biggest resource hog of them all...uses more memory than any other AV I have tried and I don't even have the email scanner installed).

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I am not disputing your personal observations on your system, but most Dr Web users would find this very surprising.

For example, on my computers, out of many AV's used and tested, only F-Prot for Windows takes up less memory. On a variety of different setups, I have routinely only seen memory usage of 1-2MB, which can hardly be considered as resource hog characteristics.

Since you have been testing a number of AV's of late, a better test of Dr Web would be on a 'clean' install of your OS. This AV is very sensitive to other AV's loaded or to the 'debris' left over from previous AV uninstalls. In addition, in my experience, it much prefers to be the first AV installed on a system.

Alternatively, at the present time, to explain your high memory usage, there must be some sort of conflict between it and your other software and/or hardware.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@Mele- I am soooo glad to hear that you are giving DrWeb a trial. :D

As to the resource consumption you are experiencing, I'm sure it CAN be fixed. Please don't give up on the Doc. Keep on working with BC, FF, Technodrome et alia until you get the good Doctor JUST exactly how you want him to be.

I would REALLY like to see you become a fan of the Green Spider. Shaloha!

@Mercurie- Someone told me, "You're nuts to want to buy F-Prot or any other AV besides Norton or McAfee."

I replied, "Be fruitful & multiply," but not in those same exact words. *puppy*

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Latest update on F-Prot 4.

I again asked Frisk support " whether the beta F-Prot 4 was still on course for a December/January release".

They replied to-day; "Unfortunately I cannot make any promises when we will release this version 4."

Previously they have always given me some provisional date but not this time.

Overall, I think we will be lucky seeing any sort of gold release before next Summer.

This is simply because they have a LOT of work to do with the improved features supposedly arriving with the new version. Further they have to incorporate these features AND try to retain its famous low resource usage.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Do you know if you have to be a registered user to beta test it and are they looking for beta testers currently?

10. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

From what Blackcat posted... I would say they won't have any external beta testers for a long long time.

11. jim_k

jim_k Registered Member

I emailed them again about v4. A beta is now "close." They told me when they hope it will be out, but I will withhold that information because I don't want people to get too disappointed if it isn't here by that time.

And, one thing you've all been waiting for...
    Incremental updates!

12. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Um.... Do you mean the beta has already happen and closed ( Very nearly Production or public beta ) or they are close to beta stage?

13. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I'm looking forward to F-Prot 4 as well... But you can say what you want, the current 3.16b isn't too bad as well... But there sure are many things wich can need some modernisation or improvements... But why it takes so long? ;)

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Man you got better results than me..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.