EZArmor or Trend 2005?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Izzy Here, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izzy Here

Izzy Here Registered Member

I'm currently deciding between purchasingTrend 2005 and EZArmor 2005. Both seem to have good reviews. EZArmor comes with ZoneAlarm Pro for a firewall. They're both basically the same price $29.95 vs. $24.95 with the MS Special Pricing.
    Any thoughts as to what my final decision should be?

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I truly believe from experience with both programs that trend will give you much better protection.

bigc

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I agree. Trend is the better of the two For very good info, tightly related to your stated requirements, please read the Wilder's thread HERE.

Since you specifically asked for comments relative to EZ versus Trend, I won't go off-thread by saying that NOD32, KAV, & DrWeb are better than either of them. I won't! I won't! I won't!:blink:

5. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

You mentioned problems working with Opera, exactly what were they as I was thinking of getting my son to install it on his machine especially as he loves p2p.

6. bigc73542

when I was trying to upload images to the forum useing opera 8.0 and trend micro Internet Security my cursor would go dead and would not click on anything It would do it with mozilla 1.7.5 sometimes but not often. It could just be the way my machine is set up. It has not done that with mcafee or nod so far.

bigc

P.S.
    I still like trend I just can't use it on this comp.

7. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

Thanks for the update

8. Izzy Here

Thanks for the responses...Thanks to your advice I've decided to go with Trend.

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hey Izzy,
    I have come in late...but no matter I see you are going to chose my choice Trend Micro. I think EZArmor is not a full blown version of ZAP. At least that is what reports I have heard say. I am running EZ AV Free 12 mos. Not really all that impressed it's only o. k. It may be protecting me but there is something about the way it works that I just do not feel completely at easy about. I believe that is what BigC and others mean when they speak of about coming down to personal choice.

Let me give you just one example last night. I snoozed the realtime protection so I could run my BitDefender Free. After it finished and I "woke it" up it seemed to hang a little. Later I came back and email did not come back to real time. Still had the little "x" on icon in tray. Said it would upon reboot. Hmm. I did not reboot. Later OutPost said CA or EZ was wanting to access the net o.k. no problem. Hmmm. Red "x" went away on it's own with no reboot. Hmmm Real time scan of email now working never did reboot. :doubt: That is one example of what I mean. Nothing serious.

10. Izzy Here

Actually I believe that after you purchase EZArmor when the trial period is expired you do get ZA Pro. My biggest problem, surprisingly, was ZA. It really became a hassle to even go on the WWW without some sort of warning or website not rendering properly. I think the Trend firewall is probably not as thorough as ZA but I can live without the extra surfing work... ;) The only thing that concerns me about Trend is that GRC.com finds open ports.

11. vincevega

vincevega Registered Member

How does Trend compare to F-prot and Dr. Web on resources?

12. Izzy Here

Uh oh...Another variable... :doubt: I just remembered that with my MSN membership that I get for free with my Verizon DSL I can get the paid versions of McAfee Anti-Virus and McAfee Personal Firewall...
    Now I'm wondering if I should stick with Trend since it's only $24.95. What to do what to do...

13. bigc73542

if you can get mcafee av and fw I would definatly take it over trend, mcafee is one of the best antivirus programs you can get. And free is good.

bigc

14. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Hi Izzy. I'm using Trend Micro 2005. I started out with just the AV and ZAP as my firewall. I decided to uninstall ZAP and give Trend Micro's firewall a try just to see how it works. It's been a couple of weeks now and it's working ok for me. I tested it at GRC.com, and it passed (Stealth) both the Common Ports test and the All Service Ports test. No open ports. It also passed GRC's Leak Test. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that ZAP has, but I can live with that. It may be just my imagination, but I believe my computer boots up faster with Trend Micro's firewall installed compared to when I had ZAP installed. I'm very happy with TMIS 2005.

15. Izzy Here

Does McAfee use more resources than Trend? I've heard that it's a pretty heavy resource hog.

16. bigc73542

mcafee is surprisingly light on a system, I have run it on win 98 with a 333 mhz proc. and 64 megs of ram with no problems at all.

17. mercurie

Understood! Many, many users very similar experience with all of ZAP version 5. I dumped it after years. I now use OutPost Pro on that system. (old Compaq running XP). I to have seen slight system upticks in performance since my switch.

On my Emachine I intend to eventually go to Trend mainly due to the wireless features and good detection rates of PC cillin.

Just a side note: I have nothing against McAfee. I believe that is a solid choice just not my preference. :)

18. bigc73542

That is what is great about security programs, there are quite a few good ones available. which makes it easier to pick one that is our personal preference. because not all apps run the same on all computers. Choice is great :D ;)

bigc

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

mercurie,

I am arguing with myself about Outpost Pro as a result of their special offer of no cost for future updates. I have put LnS on this old computer and now have it running well after some help here.

What do you think of OP and have you compared that to LnS?
    Jerry

20. mercurie

Jerry,
    Still learning OutPost but can tell you it is operating well using default security settings. It also seems to notice the slightest change in a program wanting out for update or download after you change something which I think is a good thing. I was having trouble with BoClean getting out to get updates with ZAP 5.1 No problem with ZAP 4.5. So I changed to manual update. Now have changed it back to update silently. You need to reboot when you do this BoClean insists. I have BoClean set to check for update 5 mins after reboot. After 5 mins to the second nearly Out Post Pro, "There has been a Change...." and so on.... :cool: Not 100% sure if it will update silently with out further response from me yet will see. This I do know it is better then ZAP. LnS interesting, but never tried it. Can not comment as to like or dislike. :)

21. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I've also not used LnS, but if you have it working well and to your liking, well, thats a powerful reason to stay with it!

If LnS is working well for you, I'd say stick with it!

Now let's get back to discussing EZArmour or Trend 2005.....

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.