EZ antivirus- am I being ripped off?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, May 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In October 2003 I paid for a 1-year license to EZ antivirus version 6.1.7.

Not long afterward, they started giving away licenses to that version for free.

Now they have updated the version to 6.2, for which they want $29.95. I could find NO way for current paid users, such as myself, to upgrade to the new version.

I feel cheated. First they give this program away just a few months after I bought it. Now they out-date my version, with 5 months remaining on my license, & offer no upgrade to me. Also, they have increased the cost of the program & doubled the fee for updating virus signatures, with no grand-father provision for existing users.

I never really used EZ-AV as my frontline AV. Only used it as a 2nd opinion, at best. Nevertheless, I feel grossly ripped off.

If I am seeing this the wrong way, somebody please educate me. If I truly was ripped off, then all readers be warned accordingly.

grace & peace to all.......bellgamin

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

bellgamin

I gave up on EZ Antivirus after talking to "Sammy" a few times. :D

To answer your question, yes. JMHO :cool:

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

If you go to their knowledge base (Sammy that is...) and ask "upgrade 6.17 to 6.2", and select the first link shown [Upgrade to EZ Antivirus Version 2005/6.2 (EZ Antivirus stand-alone ONLY)], doesn't that basically outline the install steps to follow? Sorry for the lack of links - no direct one's are popping up for me. Sammy sure is an irritating little chap when you get down to it.

Sounds like you don't uninstall the current version. You install over the 6.0 and above product and the license information is automatically associated with the new version - but go to their website for the detailed info.

At least that's how I read the info....

Blue

4. bellgamin

Many thanks for the comments, ronjor & Blue.

I couldn't get Sammy to work properly with Firefox or K-meleon or Beonex. It only worked with Internet Explorer, and did so VERY slowly.

I finally found the obscure means for ugrading. It refused to work with any of my download managers. So I deactivated them, & used just the browser's downloader. The download started at only 2.4K. Killed it & tried again. This time it downloaded at 3.4K, so I let it proceed. After 2 minutes it timed-out. Tried again a 1/2 hour later. Download speed was 6.5K, but it timed-out after 3 minutes.

I give up. Please note that there is NO way to upgrade the program from within the EZ AV program itself. You can get signature updates, but you absolutely cannot update the program itself except by spending an inordinate amount of effort on their website. Also, there are no friendly, helpful guidelines for an existing user to upgrade on the "my-etrust.com" website. Instead, you have to login, search, click, search, click. It gives one the feeling that your business is being tolerated rather than truly welcomed and appreciated.

Not being able to easily upgrade is an annoyance, but not a major problem. I ceased using EZ AV shortly after I bought it & have no intention of renewing.

Caveat emptor.........bellgamin

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

bellgamin

Companies should remember their customers and give the best support they can. Or somebody else will.

I'm not bashing anyone. It is just the way it is. :)

6. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I would try downloading the free version of 6.2 and install over the old one. Couldn't hurt if you are gonna trash it.

7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

http://crm.my-etrust.com/CIDocument.asp?KDId=739&GUID=ECAB783C825A4FF6B621D4F7DA7128D9
    Upgrade to EZ Antivirus Version 2005/6.2 (EZ Antivirus stand-alone ONLY)

Summary:

How to download, install and maintain the eTrust EZ Antivirus version 2005/6.2 product. For eTrust EZ Antivirus stand-alone users ONLY.

Resolution:

eTrust EZ Antivirus version 6.2 is now Generally Available(GA). In this document, you will find instructions on how to download and install this new version.

DOWNLOAD:

Your copy of eTrust EZ Antivirus version 6.2 can be downloaded at your convenience, by logging into your my-eTrust account. Click Here for instructions on how to log into your account to download your latest subscription:

The approximate size of the download image is 4.12 MB.

The download process involves two easy steps:

1. The first screen will ask if you wish to "Run this program from the current location" or "Save to disk", select "Save to disk". (Note: Internet Explorer 6.0 or Windows XP users; you will see a dialog box which reads: "You are about to download the file: EZAntivirus.exe from LOCATION. Would you like to open the file or save it to your computer?" Please click "SAVE".)
    2. The second screen will ask where you wish to save the program on your hard drive. Select "Save In: Desktop" and click "Save". (Note: This program will not fit on a floppy disk. This is why we prefer you save the program on your desktop for the time being.)

INSTALL:

*Do not uninstall your current (6.0 or above) version of eTrust EZ Antivirus. This GA releas
    e should be installed as an upgrade to your existing software.

Please follow these steps to install the product:

1. After the download of the product is complete, you may initiate the installation and product setup by simply clicking "Open" on the screen. If this is not an option or you do not wish to begin the installation at that time, you can initiate the setup by locating and double-clicking on the file that you downloaded on your Windows Desktop. That action will automatically start the product setup/installation process.
    2. During product setup/installation, your license key will automatically be inserted into the new products registration. Please be sure not to edit that information. Note: If your license key is not automatically entered, please insert your current license information that is available within your Order History on our website. Click Here to view your license information.
    3. After inserting your License information, the installation will complete and you will be asked to reboot your machine.

If this document did not help you answer your question(s), please Click Here to contact a Web Support Representative.

I think you may be acting a little like the servant who went to the masters vineyard to work and was paid a penny ( as agreed ) . The master later took on for a few hours another and paid him a penny ( for half the amount of work)
    I think you may also need to look at the times when you try to download . As that really can effect downloads . Try another time of the day . I have no problems with Firefox.
    You knew about the e trust v7 promo ( free for a life time way back and could have utilised that ) Any ways the above instructions I found in 2 minutes . best of luck .

8. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

otherwise.Download the 6.2 version
    Uninstall the 6.1 version.reboot and then install the 6.2 version with your key

9. bellgamin

Thanks SPC & all who offered suggestions.

SPC- Read again what I wrote. I said:
    Thus, there was no need for you to reprint those same instructions. But thanx, anyway.

*Notice first that, unlike every other AntiVirus I know of, e-trust makes me jump through several hoops in order to obtain an upgrade which I already paid for. It is a shame that I have to search a knowledge base in order to get instructions for obtaining a purchased product. Every other AntiVirus that I own will download upgrades directly from my installed program. NOT e-trust.

**I tried downloading version 6.2 at several different hours of the day & encountered timeouts, even at 1AM Hawaii time. If I persist, no doubt, it will eventually download. However, when e-trust went *free* they evidently bought no additional bandwidth. So signature updates {over 1.7MB each} have been dreadfully slow, too. Ergo, paying customers suffered because of their freebies.

***In the parable, the Master paid the workers. In my case, e-trust didn't pay me. I paid them. I have no objection to their free promotions provided they also take good care of their paying customers. But they do NOT {IMHO}. {The parable, by the way, deals with Old versus New Covenant soteriology, & not commercial transactions. :cool: }

****The version 7 free offer is {as the name shows} STRICTLY for version 7. I paid for my version for the express purpose that it would be maintained and updated. There's more to an AV program than signatures, right? The engine is important, too, right?

*****SPC said:
    This is not helpful. I didn't lie about my problems. It was the search of the knowledge base that hung. Every search with FF/K-mel/Beonex went to a white page. IE did the search just fine. None of my other browsers succeeded.

Please don't sit back with your free version & cast stones at me. It's mean.:'(

10. solarpowered candle

Sorry Bellgamin , I have effortless daily sig updates . I also do not find there instructions obscure. . I feel that you have gotten a little upset and made "headlines " and tried to put down a fine product . You possibly got into a bit of a tangle simply because you do not access the knowledge base or visit its resources as much due to you relegating it to a back up only scanner etc .
    I have never had any problems with emailing support . I have always received a reply within 48 hrs and with a solution from a support tech person .
    I also have a paid up yearly subscription to EZ firewall ( purchased 3 weeks prior to the free EZ firewalls becoming available) . however after thinking about it Im not too upset as i have a free life time liscence to e trust v7 also currently a free yearly liscence to 6.1 anti virus /EZ armour so what I lost in one respect i have gained in another . I also think that the many who are using the free version of firewall and anti virus are getting a good deal and If my contribution to some thing helps in that in some obscure way then thats fine . best wishes to you and i only wish that peoples can gain some of the benefits that i have from using vet as its one of the best and shouldnt be dismissed so easily. hope you sort thru your issues with CA peacefully as Its a excellent anti virus .
    ps. I notice the new price is $24.95 and i would think that its renewal would be around $12 the following year or such . Those that already have there licence at renewal may only have to pay the reduced fee or what ever that has been in the past ($12) http://www.my-etrust.com/products/A...e938ef7c8-424617BA-CBE8-9FBB-1E4E71A83E976602

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  11. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Well, since Dr. Web's recent problem with their site beibg down I scramble around my E-mails found my CA eTrust EZ Antivirus purchase and redownloaded the updated Version 6.2.0.28.
    To say the least I'm very impressed. It's footprint is as light as Dr. Web's.And with BoClean as resident antitrojan, I feel as secure as if I have Kaspersky running resident ;)
    I noticed that Virus Bulletin's June awards came out and Commupter Associates Vet passed. Thier record is 21 passes and 12 fails.But even more impressive is that they failed in eight of their first ten tries and passed in 20 of their last 22 tries.
    So I'll stick with EZ antivirus for at least till Tuesday :D :D :D

12. bellgamin

I didn't say that EZ isn't a good product. Before buying it, I checked several major test sites & was impressed by its consistently good marks. Once I get over my petulence I will probably download & install 6.2. As to whether or not I will renew the license next Oct, I am reminded of an anecdote: "Will I forgive you for shooting me? If I die, yes. If I live -- we'll see."

Any way, SPC -- I always appreciate your comments, and your work here at Wilder's. Live long & prosper. :p

13. solarpowered candle

:) and you too Journey well my freind

14. mikel108

mikel108 Guest

I feel like you do. I purchased AVG 7 PRO in November 2003. Now I find out that they will be offering 7 for free. I emailed sales and I got the standard line. You will have priority updates, and full function of the product and a advanced mode. other than manually clicking the update and full scan button I never touch the rest of the program. They have lost a customer. I will be going to a bigger name company that gives nothing away for free. At least I won't be paying for those that are too cheap to pay for their own. BTW I never used the free version.

15. bellgamin

My sympathies, Mike. But it isn't all bad. Just about any antivirus that you purchase will give you far better protection than AVG. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.