Eyeing components for a new computer - will this do?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Gullible Jones, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm currently eyeing hardware for a new DIY computer. I'm not looking for anything really powerful, as I'm not a heavy-duty gamer, but I do want my Flash videos to play smoothly without maxing out my CPU. (And yeah, I know, that's asking for a lot. :rolleyes: )

Other requirements are:

- Small form factor (for portability and low desk space)
    - Low price
    - Good support for both Linux and Windows

Currently I'm looking at this for the mobo. It's basically the cheapest mini-ITX mobo on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153134

I have a few questions about it.

1. The VIA Chrome9 video. I have had very good luck with the durability and performance of VIA mobo chipsets believe it or not, but their video has always been a sore point. How does Chrome9 compare to the old Unichrome? Better? Worse? More of the same? Is the 2D performance acceptable, on both Linux and Windows? (Unichrome on Linux has major 2D issues.)

2. The processor. It looks roughly on par with an Atom. How does it compare?

3. How's the VIA HDA audio? I've had real problems with VIA AC97 audio before, and Realtek HDA frankly sucks.

4. This thing will fit okay in min-ATX desktop cases, right?

Also, for those of you with more hardware experience than myself - what's your general recommendation, if any, regarding mini-ITX mobos?

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

the via is not as capable as a comparable speed atom is. it will be fine for office apps and internet browsing but dont ask it to do high def video to smoothly imo. i have used a netbook with the via chipset and it was a dog. the atom while not amazingly better for sure was much smoother with video and just about everywhere else. the chrome9 is not a whole lot better. again it will be fine for normal desktop stuff but forget running smooth with aero and any high demand video.

in the mini itx imo i would stay with the atom at least and some of the newer amd stuff doesnt look to bad but i have not had to much experience with the mini itx boards only the netbooks. overall id say the via audio will be fine. about the same as the better realtek on board stuff is.

ill see if i can find the review of the netbook that used the via chipset and post it here ill have to look a bit and see if i can find it. iirc it was a gateway but i could be wrong..

personally i would stay with a micro atx, you can get some really small cases while def not as small as the itx format there are def some nice slim ones out there. and then get yourself a e5200 or similar this will have a built in 3500 or 4500 intel gpu and the e5200 does not get very hot at all.

my recc is the asrock g31m-s rev 2 or the asrock g41m-s i own a pc shop and they are my go to cheap small boards. honestly i go through prob 40 or more a month and hardly ever have any issues. i think i have sent back 2 boards in the last 6 months... they are very reliable

the g31m-s has a simple jumper on the board if you match it with a e5200 intel chip is auto overclocks to 3.33 with almost no increase in heat. i always use the small stock intel heatsink and temps are perfect and they are a very fast cheap build for my customers. most people cant believe how fast they are for the money..get some ddr2 ram even 2gb is enough really but 4 is better and you have a really nice cheap system

sorry for rambling on i for one will stay away from the itx stuff for home use due to it just not having much power to do a whole lot. some may disagree but ive used itx and atoms and the cheap e5200 systems BLOW THEM AWAY

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I also recommend not looking towards the Via..matter of fact..run far far away from them. Between the e5200 and the newer dual core Atoms....there ya go..either one can make for a great little system.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

An ITX motherboard is not likely to be supported by a mini-ATX case as an ITX motherboard is only 6.75" x 6.75".

Did you notice that JetWay is not currently available on Newegg?

The problem with buying the cheapest is that's what you get - the cheapest. I built a system around the ASUS ITX-220 and it does very well. I note this IXBT Labs Review where it concludes,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.