Extremely user friendly setup for a noob?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kyle1420, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

So My brother has a mate who is pretty terrible at computers, Clicks everything.

This is the second time the pc has been to me (first time a nasty root kit)
    This time, a bunch of rogue software and god knows what else.

I've been thinking of returnil, Although that may frustrate him more...
    I've also been thinking about Geswall.
    Linux is not an option, he's extremely computer illiterate.

Pls only recommend the absoloute most user-friendly, He really will click anything.

I previously tried Avast max settings and norton DNS.
    He's on win7 with UAC on high.

2. Kyle1420

Another thought is Comodo Time machine. I know it isn't too user friendly, But atleast Recovery and a clean system is only a phone call away.

3. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Shadow defender

Or better u can use safe admin (kees guide).

Both are easy to use and set up

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Shadow Defender or LUA with SRP default-deny.

Sul.

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Web of Trust set to block on Firefox or IE, Geswall turned on high so it auto isolates and Avast for an AV.

6. ichito

ichito Registered Member

+ light AV - Avast Free
    + light firewall - PC Tools FW
    + password protection of settings both of them

7. Essentials

Essentials Registered Member

Check this post
    They talk about security setup for an elderly person. This is similar to what you are looking for.

8. fax

fax Registered Member

Just PREVX retail... the only one with full support covering the cleaning of malware (remotely) in case of infections.

9. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

This is what i recommend.

- Limited user account. (LUA)
    - Software restriction policy (SRP)
    - enable built in firewall (it will do the job for a basic user with LUA and SRP enabled)
    - Firefox

All comes with windows, no popups, no fuss, no trouble. Just being cool. :cool:

10. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

LUA
    SRP
    MSE
    Prevx with SOL

And it would be a good idea to have an imaging program such as Acronis. Imaging is part of a security package that pays for itself if ever needed!

11. Circe

Circe Registered Member

I'm new to the forum and I'd just like to say Hi to everyone at this point before I add my thoughts to this interesting thread.

I have read all the posts on this thread, there is a lot of great advice as regards protection for a newbie here and I'd like to add my view on this subject.

I have 2 teenage sons who use their PC's and they click everything and try to go to all kinds of websites on the internet.So with this in mind this is what I have done.

I installed K9 WEB PROTECTION and keep the settings at default.You can always unblock sites if requested to.
    Then I installed SANDBOXIE and deleted the shortcut icons for any other browser on the desktop.You could also use Geswall as pointed out in an earlier post.
    Antivirus? well you could do with an antivirus which requires minimal interaction so I recommend Panda cloud (no updates and interaction required) I have installed avira on one of the PC's and Mcafee on the other with no issues at all for the past 2 years. DNS? I have used Norton on one and clearcloud on the other. Firewall? I have used windows 7 built in firewall on one and on the other PC I have used the McAfee firewall.
    My two son's have chosen thecomodo dragon browser as their browser of choice, as long as the browser is sandboxed I don't mind.
    I have had no issues with any of the PC's in the two years I have had these set ups.
    This is the set up I have used on my Son's PC's but after reading the messages in this thread you could easily use any of the suggested set ups without any issues.

I hope you find the set up that works for your friend.

Circe.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Take a look at this Thread

13. gery

gery Registered Member

i believe no matter what type of security measures you will take you definitely need a basic protection AV (real time) free or paid and something like Comodo time machine to revert to something straight if he gets infected.. Set the scanning schedules in something like at least three days in a week and off course you would need a limited account user to protect him from himself.
    edit.
    Vipers DNS will be a great plus

14. Kyle1420

Thanks all for the help.
    Considering your suggestions, I've chosen..

WOT
    Geswall on HIGH (no pop-ups, automatic isolation)
    Free av (I think MSE at this point since it's more automatic than avast..BB alerts\sandboxing)
    Comodo time machine, Weekly snap shots.

15. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I see he is on Windows 7, which is a great thing.

My advice, don't make it overcomplicated with many hard to understand applications. If you do the below mentioned you only need to install an antivirus application and setup a DNS.

*Create a standard user account for him and keep the administrator account credentials for yourself. This is the most important step since it will take care of 95% of the threats.

*Enable Windows Firewall. The firewall included in Windows 7 is a great firewall and in a situation like this there is no reason to use any third-party firewall.

*Enable Windows Update for automatic updating of Microsoft products. Someone with access to the adminstrator account should keep Adobe products and Java up to date.

*Another very important step is having a strategy for backup and restore. Windows 7 includes Backup & Restore, which in my eyes is a great application for making a system image (for restore in case of major problems) and creating backups of important documents. You could consider using an alternative backup program such as EASEUS Todo Backup (which has a free version).

*Harden the operating system by enabling Data Execution Prevention (via instructions here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-Data-Execution-Prevention-settings) and Structured Exception Handling Overwrite Protection (via the Fix it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956607).

*Use either Internet Explorer 9 as browser (because of its SmartScreen filter for malware and phishing protection and Protected mode), or Google Chrome (because of its sandboxing).

*Install an unobtrusive, easy to use and powerful free antivirus application. Three good options are avast! Free Antivirus, Panda Cloud Antivirus and Microsoft Security Essentials.

*Additionally you could consider using Norton DNS (in my eyes better than ClearCloud DNS) as an additional layer of malware site blocking.

EDIT:

*Also it is a good to disable AutoPlay for all media and devices by following these instructions: http://www.thewindowsplanet.com/1189/disable-enable-autoplay-windows-7.htm.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
  16. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

17. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Depending on the software on the computer, GesWall is not noob-friendly until it is properly configured by a geek. I think Defensewall is probably the most simple to use out of the "box." Zero false positives and arguably more effective than any black-list conventional AV. It can be password protected and is extremely light on resources. Support, should it be needed, is very easy to come by too.

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree with 1000db and i bet if there was a 64 bit version of DW i will defenitly dump all security software and install Defensewall mano_O why did i moved to 64 bits systemso_O man:D

19. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

What is kees guide? I can't find it on forum.

20. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

I find Sandboxie the perfect application for a newbie.

As to Comodo Time Machine... it has destroyed more PCs than some viruses.

21. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

I have seen about it on forum lately. What is kees guide? :ninja:

22. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Returnil System Safe and AvastFree or Avira Personnal. Just scedule your updates. For backup try EASEUS Todo Backup Pro. There's a promo going on now HERE

23. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

--Nice read there.:thumb:

24. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Whilst you'll get suggestions on suitable software to help with your situation, and for other users in the same boat, I think it'd be good to have a lesson on not clicking on everything in sight. Services like WOT may help in this regard, but even without those, users still need to be cautious. :)

25. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.