extremely slow scan with nod 32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by bigc73542, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I will try to make this as short as I can. I won a years subscription to nod32. I have tried to configure it like in the sticky in the version 2 forum, and I have tried it every way that i can but when I do a scan it is the slowest scanning av I have used in several years. It is not the pc as it is running a p4 2.5 processor and 1024 ram. It takes about fourty four minutes to scan 10.6 gigs used on an 80 gig Hdd. This is totally unacceptable, I have uninstalled nod three times and it is the same every time. I have tried it with advanced hueristics on and off With the scan deep or normal. This av is really slow The only av I have ever used that is slower was norton. I deleted nod out and installed panda platinium 7 and it will scan the whole computer in twenty one minutes and my command av will scan in seven minutes. I really liked the idea of having nod but my mind has certainly been changed by it's performance

this is not a nod bashing post it is just here to see if someone might have had a similar experience and a possible solution.

bigc

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This is my NOD in depth scan time for four gigs of data. I don't use the sticky settings.

I do scan all files in every mode.

No antivirus I've ever used scans faster in realtime.

The email scanning has slowed some with this version. On large video files, etc, received by email, it is really slow.

Attached Files:

3. bigc73542

That is more what I was expecting, but it didn't work out like that.

4. bigc73542

While I was reading a few post's I ran a scan on my comp all files 136967 files in 18 minutes with panda platinum 7. I just mentioned that to show that it is not my comp that is slow. For some reason my comp doesn't like nod or else nod just isn't as fast as I thought it would be. but I would really like to fix the problem if there is one, I like the GUI nod uses and if there is a reason that it is scanning slow and can be fixed I would use it.

bigc

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

The only time I've experienced that type of behavior is when I had KAV as my primary and NOD32 as my scheduled demand scanner when I was testing out the 5.0 WS beta. KAV was prescreening everything that NOD32 was looking at during a scan and I was surprised at the hit taken. Do you have any apps that could do this? Looking at what NOD32 is doing? AT? Anything else? PG? Just guessing here.

Blue

6. bigc73542

I did not have another av installed at the time and I disabled process guard ,Adaware and spybots/d one at a time to see if that could be a problem. During the scan progress it didn't jump or stop, it scanned smoothly it just didnt break any speed records. I even disconnected the cable to my modem and turned off the firewall kerio2.1.5. I have never had a problem like this with an antivirus before so it makes it a little hard to diagnose.

7. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi bigc73542:

Just a hunch, but.. Panda Platinum 7 on the same computer? Are any services running from Panda (which I do not use) which may cause the slowdown of NOD32 scanning?

HiJackThis log would probably be helpful.

PM me if you want me to take a look.

8. bigc73542

Panda was not installed at the same time as nod. nod was the only av installed at the time. I don't know I just may not be able to run it, all apps don't run on all computers :(

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I think we'll have to wait for someone from Eset to wander along.

I have just scanned 116GB with settings to the max, it took 34:53sec.

I remember another person having the same problem a while back, but cannot recall who...

No help I'm afraid, though I have no doubt that we will get to the bottom of the problem, sooner or later...

Cheers :D

Attached Files:

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I am yet to see a computer that I can't get Nod onto, we'll sort you out ;)

Cheers :D

11. rumpstah

I have only seen NOD32 scan "really" slow on a couple computers that had some resident programs running that were inspecting files. A closer observation of the running services and the registry can usually narrow it down quickly.

12. bigc73542

I ran a HJT log on it, and the puppy is clean. but thanks anyway.

13. bigc73542

here is the list of running processes, remember panda and command av weren't running at the time.

Attached Files:

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What is avengine.exe? Panda?

15. rumpstah

The next step would be controller drivers and/or BIOS updates. How does your Device Manager look? Any yellow triangle !'s?

16. bigc73542

panda file

Attached Files:

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

avinitnt.exe is Command. Those services shouldn't be running if they are removed.

18. bigc73542

No yellow triangles or red warnings either. The bios and those things are up to date I check often and it doesn't hurt that the comp is only four months old. I just went to the manafactures web site and got the only update available for this comp, a keyboard update two days ago.

19. bigc73542

They are now installed, nod is uninstalled.

20. rumpstah

The easiest way to ascertain the issue is to have the other AV software removed and NOD32 installed so we can see what is running at the same time.

Now that we have a clearer picture of what the others install, it would be beneficial to see the opposite.

21. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi, I scan 132 000 files [60gb used] in about 12 mins, all settings full.

PC specs;
    P4 3.06 TH
    512 mb PC3200
    120GB/8 Sata

If i do a scan using factory settings takes about 3 mins.

faster if i give it higher priority from task manager.

22. bigc73542

Before I uninstall two av's again I am going to install nod on my sons AMD brand computer and give it a try and see if it does any better he is running an AMD 2800 processor and 1024 ram and has panda platinum 7 installed so we know how fast panda scans on my p4 so we will run a scan on his to compair speed and then Uninstall panda and give nod a try on there. If it does not perform better on his than it does on mine it just shows me I was just expecting to much from nod. I am a little spoiled anyway useing command and before that f-prot they both are really fast. If nod really scans quickly on his comp I will disect my software and try to find a culprit. I will post back in this thread tomorow and give you the results of the test. Thanks a million for the attention you are giving this problem.

bigc

23. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You might try shutting down the Ewido guard while scanning, too..

24. bigc73542

been there done that :D

25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

A snapshot of my nightly 3:00 AM scan is below. Typical for me. Given all the potential differences, scales well with Blackspears results. Slowdown only comes from a few of options - some other app is prescanning/intercepting, some other app is in conflict, a low level issue exists between this app and your PC, and probably a couple of others. Since you hadn't seen it before, I think that I'd discount the prescanning (i.e. what I saw with KAV 5.0 WS beta on my PC).

The other thing I'd do is set the task manager to show CPU time per process. A before/after shot over similar time windows would at least indicate where CPU time is being differentially spent during a scan - might point to some likely culprits - you do need those comparative shots though.

Blue

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.