Extreme slowing since move to version 4

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by lvtc, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lvtc

lvtc Registered Member

We have been using ESET for a couple of years now and just made the change to version 4 Antivirus. Ever since we switched, every machine has slowed dramatically during normal operation. If I uninstall version 4, the slowing goes away. This behavior happens on Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista Business, and our Server 2003 and Server 2008 machines. Even when I 'temporarily disable antivirus protection' the slowing is still there (though not quite as much).

We have always been happy with this product in the past, however this version seems to have some serious issues. Since it doesn't happen with just a single machine (it happens to every machine in 3 locations), I can't see it being an overlooked setting or anything of that nature. Has anyone else experienced these problems with version 4?

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Is CPU load spiking? Is disk I/O thrashing? The resource monitor in Vista/2008 is very good at tracking down applications that are causing load, do you see anything out of the ordinary there?

3. lvtc

lvtc Registered Member

I have watched processes in the hope for seeing something crazy, nothing. I have watched my disk IO and have seen nothing too out of the ordinary. It just seems like any kind of interaction what so ever takes 10 times as long as it does without the product installed. Opening a Word file, navigating folders, launching Outlook, anything. I cannot continue to use a product that reduces productivity so much. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

4. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Can you disable "scan on open" and "scan on create" ? I have those disabled and it makes a huge difference. As long as "scan on execute" is enabled then you should have good protection.

Jim

5. SmackyTheFrog

Are you running multiple products with real-time scanners?

6. lvtc

lvtc Registered Member

I will test the "scan on open" and "scan on create" on a few machines. As for multiple products, no. Version 3 was uninstalled and Version 4 was installed after a clean and reboot.

7. lvtc

lvtc Registered Member

Interesting. I just installed Version 4 on a machine that we added a few days ago that did NOT have Version 3 on it first. Everything is running just fine on that one. Is there a possibility that Version 3 is leaving something behind that is causing the issue once 4 is put on? I ran the uninstaller and deleted the ESET directory like recommended. Are there other steps that need to be taken to upgrade versions?

8. SmackyTheFrog

Typically you also want to remove the Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ and the HKLM\Software\Eset registry key as well for a full clean removal but I've never personally seen performance issues between upgrade installs like that.

9. biggerbyte

biggerbyte Registered Member

Hmmm! I have noticed a noticable slowdown on my Vista machine with 4, vs. 3. I am not liking it at all either. 3.0 was super fast at everything. I see sluggishness as programs open that I have never experienced before with nod32.

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Registered Member

Same here.

I uninstalled ESET SS4 after having major problems with LAN transfers of large files. After weeks of ESET not being able to help, I downgraded to NOD32 only... version 4. I have the same slowdown of ALL software now.

Are there any ESET products that actually work under Windows 7? LOL

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I have no problems with the suite and Windows 7 64 bit, so i can say that it's working fine here on my desktop and laptop.

12. biggerbyte

biggerbyte Registered Member

Something is up, because my computer seems to be getting slower and slower the longer v. 4 is on. I never had any issues like this with 3.

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There's no reason for v3 and v4 to be different in terms of scan speed. Do you notice slower performance when performing certain operations, running a specific application or when exactly?

14. MrBeen

MrBeen Registered Member

the biggest pb is surfing
    ince i installed w7 (fresh install) if web access protection is activated my adsl seems to be a 512kb, disactivated ~1mb
    nod32 closed (process stoped) : no pb
    i have a 20mb adsl speed

15. Handries

Handries Registered Member

My solution in speeding up the slow scan on v.4 is: after starting a scan to close the ESS window to the systems tray, which reduces the CPU usage dramatically and the scan is finished in record time.
    Even though I am using ESS v.4 it should work the same way using EAV v.4.
    Hope that this will be of help to you.

16. lvtc

lvtc Registered Member

Well, the longer I leave version 4 on the more problems I am running into. I have a Windows 2008 64bit machine that is running Apache and MySQL which has been running with no problems at all. Since putting Version 4 of ESET Antivirus BE on there, I have experienced problem after problem. Web apps that have worked fine forever no longer work since putting version 4 on. Not to mention the slowing problems I've experience with various applications and opening of files. I have had a labeling software package stop working because it uses an access database for licensing and since version 4 that licensing database is no longer accessible and the software times out. I have had issues with our ERP software, web applications, and general opening of word and excel files from file shares. I have followed the guidelines as suggested for servers, even tried them on the workstations - nothing. I wish I could find someone who could guide me as to why this is happening, but that isn't looking good either. At least they still offer version 3 as a download. Looks like I'll be reinstalling version 3 on every machine here. :(

17. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Which of these problems are occurring with EAV v. 4.0.474?

18. lvtc

lvtc Registered Member

I managed to get everything updated to the newest build of version 4 and so far, it seems to be doing much better. I am not sure what changed, but whatever it was - it was a good change. I will post again if I notice anything else major, but as of now I'm happy again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.