Extrange situation

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sir_carew, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hi,
    I'm discover in my WIN XP that when I start Internet Explorer in the favorites section appears a new folder called Links, it folder is empty. I decide delete it, but when I start IE again the folder appear again.
    I check using KAV, NOD32, Dr.web and nothing. In the process I don't have any extrange.
    Can u help me?
    PS: I've Windows in spanish.
    Thanks.

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi sir-carew,

The "Links" folder comes with IE, and even if you delete it, it will come back because it is part of IE.

If you right-click on IE's menu bar, you will see the following words listed there: Stanard Button, Address Bar, Links, Lock Toolbars. Now if you have a check mark beside the word "Links", then look to the right of the Menu Bar and you will see the word Links with little arrows beside it. If you have added a site's page into the Links folder in your Favourites, then when you click on that Links word with the arrows beside it, you will also find the same pages listed there too! (i justed added two pages to my Links Folder to show you, and now you will see where they show up in the Links drop-down list when i click on the arrows there - see attached image).

It's just another feature that adds easy access to a few of your favourite pages.

Hope that helps a bit :)

regards,

snap

Attached Files:

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

ooops..forgot to mention...

yes...the folder is empty until you add the pages you want to it. i think IE5 use to have some links already pre-installed into that folder...?? But i cannot remember since if i find any links in any browsers i use, i usually delete them all out and add my own. :D

4. Unzy

Unzy Registered Member

Hi all,

Yes, that's correct it will just keep re-appearing because it's part of IE.

However, if it really annoys you and you absolutely want to get rid of it, there is a little registry tweak you can do :

press start -> run -> type regedit and type enter

Navigate to this location :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

(NOTE : first back it up, by selecting 'Toolbar' , click on 'regitry' then export key and save as toolbar.reg, that's just in case something goes wrong, but editing this is not a vital life necessary key for the registry ;) )

You'll see on top Data Type: standard REG_SZ

Doubleclick it and type : // and press ok

Then doubleclick LinksFolderName

delete 'links' in the bar and press ok

Open Internet Explorer and manually delete the Links folder from Favorites Menu.

The Links folder will not be recreated.

Exit Registry and Reboot

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.