Extracting Contents of EXE Files

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

How do you extract the contents of an EXE Program Installer file without running the EXE Program Installer file?

I want to extract the contents of the Dr.Web LiveUSB EXE file, hoping that the whole ISO file is inside. Sometimes Dr.Web stops updating the Dr.Web LiveCD for a period of several weeks at a time. However, it seems like the Dr.Web Live USB EXE is updated almost daily. I usually update my bootable USB Flash Drive (made with YUMI) about once a week. I need the updated Dr.Web LiveCD ISO file for this update.

-http://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/liveusb/win/

Thanks in Advance.

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Some installers make it very difficult.

Sometimes you can start the install process and look for the temp file it creates, and just copy/paste from there.

Other times you have to install to VM or sandbox, copy out the files wanted, then delete vm/sandbox.

Some installers will have tools created, like UniExtractor, which might work.

I use the VM/Sandbox method the most.

Sul.

3. TheKid7

Thank you.

Since I have Sandboxie, I can run the EXE 'sandboxed' and then copy the ISO file from the 'sandbox'. Is this correct? I would probably need to first increase the sandbox size from the default sandbox size.

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

it works sometimes with 7-Zip.

not with all programs though.

5. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

6. TheKid7

I just noticed that Dr.Web announced on October 18 that they have released a new virus finding engine for many of their products (including the Dr.Web LiveCD). Maybe they will update the Dr.Web LiveCD soon.

7. TheKid7

7-Zip worked, but there was no ISO file. It is apparently an actual "Installation" package.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.