Extra Layer Required?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cruxx, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruxx

cruxx Registered Member

Hi folks,
    first post here and need a little advice.
    Curret setup is; Antivir personal, CIS, but with antivirus realtime off and used for manual added extra scan only. I have sandboxie installed but not fiddled with it much yet. I also have threatfire but do not have it running at this time.
    Should I keep threatfire whilst running CIS or is that too much overlap? Also, on my other setup I use antivir, threatfire and online armor free. Same question as before, do I still need to keep threatfire or can it be retired in both scenarios?
    Any other suggested software that fits in with either setup I will be glad to look it and try.

thanks.
    :)

2. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

I think if you have the Defense+ on you don't need TF.
    Don't know about your OA setup.

3. cruxx

cruxx Registered Member

Thank you. Another question; would it be useful to run sandboxie in conjunction with defencewall in any configuration or are they too similar in their approach for that to be useful?
    Which of them has ease of use as I'm looking at both at the moment?

4. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Sandboxie is good for testing software that you think as cloaked-malware rookits. PrevX software can detect and remove such malware. Defencewall and ThreatFire might start to choke and can't protect so much. I ran into this last night in testing.. Only PrevX was able to handle these new threats, but only if you have internet connection if you disconnect from your LAN then the program fails. ThreatFire also needs the internet too. Defensewall didn't find as much malware only 2 as Prevx found 34. Big difference.

Sandboxie where would show what happens if a rouge software like installer had certain elements that was embeded into it. You can watch them expand and drop into the Virtiual folder on your HDD that's protected with Sandboxie.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Normally DefenseWall finds zero malware (it contains malware), so a miracle has happened. Please PM Ilya with the samples, he will check it

Regards Kees

6. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

DefenseWall do not "find malware" as it's designed to contain threats, not detect them.

7. cruxx

cruxx Registered Member

DefenseWall seems a very useful application from what I've briefly read. Are there any good guides to get the most out of it?
    :)

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is done outthe box ready to be use to get the most out of it:D

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The help-file is a start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.