External USB HDD not detected

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Avinash75, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avinash75

Avinash75 Registered Member

Hi

i am trying to run a restore for a backed up image by connecting an External USB HDD to the USB port of server.

the server is an Proliant DL380G4 with raid 6i

somehow when acronis comes up with the boot cd it is not detectng the USB drive as a result i cannot browse it.

trying to restore form across newtrok is extremly slow

can someone help me to find out how can i make acrnois detect this HDD udring boot

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

There are 3 possibilities why TI cannot "see" the external USB.

1. Power. Connect the USB to a separate power source independent of the server. Power ON the external USB and ensure that you can "see" the disk throught the server OS (e.g. MS Windows Server 2003). Then reboot into the TI CD and the Linux shell without taking power away from the external USB.

2. Data. Some USB devices have the strange preference that they like the power to be switched on first and then the data cable to be connected. Try powering up as described in 1. above. Remove the USB cable. Wait 1 minute. Reconnect the USB cable. Wait 2 minutes. Check if you can see the disk.

3. Driver. The TI boot CD comes with a subset of the Linux OS. It is possible (probable) that the driver for your external USB is not included with the version of Linux supplied by Acronis. Send the details of your external USB disk to Acronis Support and ask them for a driver. They are usually quite good at doing this type of thing.

3. Avinash75

Avinash75 Registered Member

Hi

thanks for the quick reposnse ,itlooks like ist only detecting the first 30 Mb now after i changed it to slave config which is fat16

is that that the acrnois doesnt detect the fat32 and NTFS partitions ??

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Not sure about that. FAT16 was a long time ago. I have only been working with systems that use NTFS for the past 5 years and have no practical experience of working with TI and FAT16/32 file systems. Sorry I can't help.

5. max0071

max0071 Registered Member

i know it detects fat 32, cause i have one and it worked.........don't know bout fat 16.......good luck

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

From the Acronis TI 9.0 Home User's Guide:

Regards​

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Avinash75,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that Acronis True Image do support FAT16/32 as well as other filesystem metioned in the User's Guide for the respective version Acronis True Image.

First of all, please make sure that the bootable CD is created with the latest build of the program. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the issue persists with the latest build, please try booting from the Acronis True Image Bootable CD with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue still persists, please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please keep the USB external hard drive connected when you create this information.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.