External USB hard drive error -71 ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Chris_1144, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris_1144

Chris_1144 Registered Member

When I boot from the full Acronis TI8 build 774 recovery CD in the "Loading Acronis True Image" black screen i get this error message twice. I have an external USB2 hard drive enclosure. (Asus A7N8X mobo) The program contines into its normal interface but then my external drive is not listed...

USB c: usb device not accepting new address = 2 error -71

USB c: usb device not accepting new address = 3 error -71

Does someone know where I can look up what this error means and how to workaround it ?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Chris

This isn't going to help you but I get the exact same error message, and have done going back as far as Version 7. I logged the error with Acronis Support earlier this year as part of a bigger problem (TI not identifying my second HD connected to an ITE IT8212 GigaRaid controller). It was eventually traced to my Conceptronic USB 2.0 6-in-1 memory card reader/writer. Despite their best endeavours, Acronis were unable to resolve the cause of the error message and I now leave the card reader/writer disconnected until needed (which isn't very often). Unfortunately, you can't just leave your USB HD disconnected because that's probably where you've stored your image.

Best thing is for you to contact Support@Acronis.com and advise them of your difficulty. Who knows, if they manage to sort it out, it might also solve my problem at the same time!!

Regards

3. Chris_1144

Chris_1144 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I was able to resolve the issue by changing the external hard drive from a primary partition to an extended partition.

Once I did that it worked perfectly.

I think it may have been confused as to which drive letter to assign to the USB external drive in the Linux based TI recovery boot environment...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.