External Storage solution: Drobo

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tradetime, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

An interesting external data storage solution, though pricey at the moment.
    Drobo

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I always like it, when a computer works for me and this robot, gifted with Artificial Intelligence, manages my system/data storage automatically, which means I can be more lazy than ever before. :cool: :cool: :cool:

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The market of storage appliances is expanding: Windows Home Server, Drobo, NAS appliances (Thecus, Infrant, Buffalo, Iomega, etc), DIY (FreeNAS, etc). Different solutions for different budgets, needs and computer knowledge.
    There's no excuse to not backing up your data.

4. lucas1985

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Yeah
    I saw this too
    First impression left me drooling with excitement
    Interesting device: great concept and implementation.
    Exxy
    Some limitations
    Something I would like to have, ...but... maybe not just yet...?wait for ethernet/NAS/printserver.

I cant find any testing that demonstrates valid restores
    CAnt see a simulated power failure or hard reboot in the middle of a copy/restore
    Seems there may be a long 'rebuild' time when a new bigger disc is put in or there is a disc failure.

George Ou took another more insightful look after the blistering attack linked above :
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=508
    Tom's HW usual thorough review:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/27/meet_drobo/
    George Ou: alternate DIY blog:
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=829

Just for example: ?competitive more fully featured tool, but, without drobo ease of use
    Same Price
    http://www.usr.com/products/networking/networking-product.asp?sku=USR8700

Not even touched on the WHS as competitor dont know enough about it, yet.

These incredibly sophisticated devices with a price point of </= $500 ( closer to $1000 with discs I suppose) are now easily accessible to the home user and with file sharing for various media and home networks, and massive storage requirements for all your pRon your movie collection are really moving quickly from big office and business systems to home office and small biz networks.

Sorry, syntactically elephantine that last para: but you get the point?.
    :blink:

6. tradetime

Thanx, interesting links. Possibly a little time on the market will bring the price down, and they really do need to fireware it or eSATA, ideally the latter. One to watch though, I like its ease of use and flexibility.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Interesting concept to watch. But for now two 500gb external drives on each computer is a defacto manual raid 1 system. Not for typical home user though.

8. lucas1985

Have fun :)

9. tradetime

That's pretty pricey too at over £600

10. lucas1985

Yep, they are high-end NAS appliances with everything but the kitchen sink :D
    Or, if you want, high-end DAS.
    /me drools :p

11. tradetime

Yeah, I have no need of that sort of thing, Drobo would most likely do my job, and wouldn't tax my tech knowhow ;), will keep an eye on that one.

12. lucas1985

Different tools for different needs :)

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Bill Gates most probably uses "Windows Home Server" to store his contaminated data.

14. lucas1985

Bill Gates is running a Debian file server, but he won't tell you anything about it :ninja:

15. Longboard

Heh heh heh
    Yeah I noticed that when I had coffee with B&M last week at their place. All the home systems used to crash before they got the Debian system :shifty: :D

Thanks for those links Lucas: I actually may need some of these tools soon for work> I had been looking at the Thecus, hadn't realised NetGear had a nice looking bit of kit there.

Amazing how the prices for the HW has dropped ,the functionality and extendability has increased, this really high tech stuff is now so accessable.

Most of my "shopping" has been trolling the home stuff pages till recently.
    For someone like me who has cobbled together utilitarian set-ups until now: It's not till you get away from the floor sellers of the local retail guys and the mass market comp mags that you realise for a few $$ more the power and utility of the equipment goes through the roof: open up a new world of options. It's occasionally hard to find support for very small biz like mine as the margins for the local IT guys shrink as the size of the install and contract shrinks.

I have to upgrade the office software : DB/Accounting/Imaging storage.
    Interesting what we take for granted now: my neighbour who has just gone through this same effort and will be using the same softs has now got storage needs for his office of over 10G in his db within 6 montrhs for a similar size operation. Realistically he expects this growth rate to continue for 10 years. Amazing what we take for granted now.
    ( remember I wrote my first and only code in Fortran on punch cards :cool: )

Heh: fortunately I can learn from where he has had problems: we cooperate pretty well.

Then have to extend the home stuff as well: server, VPN blah blah blah..

Most of the time I'm not even sure what I might benefit from and even find it difficult describing and transforming what I want into reality. This is frankly not my area of expertise by any means.

ATM I'm being screwed over by the owners of my building who are not willing to upgrade their data cabling; so somewhat unbelievably from my floor on our building there are NO offices with direct cable access and even having enough 'phone lines for ADSL is difficult. Internet wifi in Oz is awful: expensive slow and often unreliable. ( how about $70/m for 1G up and down inclusive !! at very slow speed. :mad: ) I love the bloody mindedness of it all. PITA :mad:

Regards.

If you happen to know any other good links...
    HEh if any tech srvice company in Oz happens to be reading this...

@Pete
    lol, Ooohh such a dinosaur, surprised you can get by with such small capacity, :D c'mon, catch up :D :D

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  16. lucas1985

We were very close to having compulsory traffic metering. When you upset the nerds, you should be prepared for the worst :D
    What are you interested in? NAS? DAS? RAID?
    If you want, I can search in my favourite folders and give you some links.

17. Longboard

heh heh

Yes Thx.

18. lucas1985

OK, expect them tomorrow, it's 9:20 pm (GMT-3) here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.