External Harddrive Networking

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Marco_CH, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marco_CH

Marco_CH Registered Member

Good evening guys :)

Some time ago Ive bought an external Harddrive (USB 2.0). Now Ive seen that there are external versions which are also able to work as network storage. Im quite jealous of them and wondered, if there is any way I could use mine as network storage too.

I noticed that when I connect it to a computer I can make it visible to the others computer in the network. But of course this only works if that computer is on.

I could change my usb printer into a networking one by using a ethernet/usb printserver hardware piece.

is there anything similiar for a harddisk? would be great if i could use it as network storage.

Regards
    Marco

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. Marco_CH

oh wow - that would be EXACTLY what I need. didnt know that such a device exists. never seen one of those here in switzerland.

im curious about the difference of a usb harddisk and a usb network harddisk. the price difference is quite big but is that justified? i can imagine that the difference in hardware is quite little.

maybe its even possible to build urself? might be fun :) but no clue

thanks for ur answer WSFuser :)

Regards
    Marco

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

usb network hard disk simply has an ethernet interface (and maybe a few circuits) so that it can be attached to a router for network sharing.

5. Marco_CH

sounds as if thats not easily possible to build by my own :)
    bah - what a pity i have bought a printserver device a few days ago. this keyspan would have been the much better choice.... darn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.