External Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kreidicp, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreidicp

kreidicp Registered Member

When I used CD-RW's for my .tib file , I noticed the write speed was very much quicker writing to a blank disk rather than a formatted disk !

As I want to use my new Maxtor 80GB Ext HD USB 2.0 just for .tib files ( for a 7GB NTFS back-up from my only internal HD ) , should I blank the factory pre-formatted FAT 32 , or would I be better to reformat to NTFS ?

If I have to blank , how would I do this please ( as with the CD-RW there was a convenient Blank CD tab in the Roxio Easy CD prog ?

Using Auto (which would split the .tib files , would not allow me to Explore the file , I believe. That was certainly the case with a 6 CD-RW's Image File.

Many thanks to P and M for their replies yesterday . They helped give me bigger perspective .

Any help much appreciated.
    ken
    Dell Dimension 4400 XPSP2 Home , no network

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have two Western Digital external drives that came the same way. I partitioned and reformatted them. For True Image I went with NTFS format.

Pete

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello again Ken

Using Nero Burning ROM, it's only necessary to "Quick Erase" previous data before burning the .tib files. I'm not familiar with Roxio Easy CD and it's specific CD settings but it could be that, if the disk isn't blank, Roxio deletes or formats prior burning.

It's your choice as to whether you leave it pre-formatted as FAT32 or reformat to NTFS. Remember though, if the HD is NTFS formatted you wouldn't be able to "see" anything if you connected it to a Windows 9x/ME machine.

Not a term I recognise for a HD but I would equate it to carrying out a FDISK (partitioning). This isn't necessary unless you want more than a single partition on your new drive (If you decide to repartition you'll need to carry out a Format afterwards).

Not correct. You can mount and explore an image provided all the corresponding .tib files are in one partition, directory or folder (to mount/explore an image that had been split across a number of CDs/DVDs requires that all the .tib files be copied back into a single folder on a HD first).

Hope the above helps.

Regards

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.