External Hard Drive, Partitions & TI 9.0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by HelpFromFrance, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

Just 2 questions folks. I have my notebook computer hooked up to an external USB2 HD 200GIG. I use it for archives and my TI 9.0 backups. Space is no problem but it is the use of that space that I would like to improuve if possible; So here are my 2 questions:

1. If I partition the 200GIG external USB2 drive into 2 drives, so I can put my archives on one partition and my TI backups on the other partition, when I boot from the Acronis TI boot CD I know that it sees my USB2 drive now, will it be able to see both partitions if I partition it?

2. Is there a way to partition the external HD without loosing the 40GIG of archive files that are on it. Preferably a free program. I am sure I will only need it once and hate to buy a program for 1 use. (I am not asking for pirated software :) )

Thanks in advance,
    HelpFromFrance

2. HelpFromFrance

No help here folks? :)

Thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

3. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

Use the "Google" Luke. Right on the top of the list I found Partition Logic for windows. There is also many live CD's like GParted that you can download the iso file for and create your own bootable CD. I just downloaded the GParted Live CD just to test it out. I really don't have any need for it right now but I thought it might come in handy some time.

4. jelenko

jelenko Registered Member

Acronis should see all normal partitions on a drive. [I'm not sure about hidden partitions that mfg's put on for system recovery]

The partition manager programs I'm familiar with are Paragon and Symantec Partition Magic. Both are not available as working, free trials.

I would suggest you simply google for partition manager and see if you can find a free one.

That said, you really want to back up your 40gb of data first - no telling what problem you could run into.

That said, if you are able to back up the 40gb, then you could just delete the partition and use Windows Disk Management to create two new partitions.

HTH

5. HelpFromFrance

jelenko,

How would this be done in Windows? What are the steps that would do this. I know how to go into the management of the disks and I can see the external hard disk, so how would I then set it up?

Thanks for the advice,
    HelpFromFrance

6. beckygb

beckygb Registered Member

I also use a laptop computer, and have a usb HDD. I have the usb divided into 2 partitions; E is for archives, and F for tib backups. TI will see both partitions. I back up C (os, programs, and data) and E. Best to name the partitions as sometimes the E & F can get scrambled, in that case you can tell which is which by the volume name.

In your case I would backup your archives on the usb HDD to DVDs or C if there is room. Then reformat your usb HDD, part of formatting the disk is partitioning which is very easy. Even if you find a free program that will partition your HDD and keep the data, the data is at risk and should be backed up anyway.

7. HelpFromFrance

beckygb,

Thanks, that is what I will do. I always name each drive anyway so that will work out good. Just have no idea how long it will take to copy 30GIG from the external to C:, oh well, I'll have the time.

Thanks,
    HelpFromFrance

8. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

Lets go back to the original questions.
    If using regular partitioning tools no, partitioning is just the first step of the process. You need to then format the new partitions which will wipe out any existing data that was stored there. You can do this from the disk management snap in which you said you already know about. Then you could move your data back onto the new partitions.

Yes, use what ever free program that is available (use google to find one). I already metioned a few previously. Unfortunately this has nothing to do with Acronis and these are Acronis forums.

You can use the file backup option of Acronis to backup your current data on the USB hard drive to your local disk or to a network disk if you have one. If there is not enough space on your local disk then you must obtain other backup media to create the backup (DVD, another disk).

Or you can just risk loosing your data (I like this option since I'm lazy) and try one of the free partition resizing tools that you found in google. There is a detailed step by step instruction guide for GParted resizing NTFS partitions.

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

To save the partitioning hassle you could create a folder for your backups and another for your archives on the USB drive.

Xpilot

10. beckygb

beckygb Registered Member

the prblem with this you can not backup the archive folder using TI

11. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I did not realise that you have your archives and their backups on the same hard drive !

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.