External Drive Recommendation

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Orgbrat, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orgbrat

Orgbrat Registered Member

I have purchased Backup & Recovery 10.0 Suite and installed. The software has determined that I need at least a 2000 GB USB 2.0 external hard drive for my backup. So I thought I would purchase a 3 TB external USB drive. I have also noticed that some of these drives come in USB 2.0 / 3.0 configurations. But I am unable to determine if Backup & Recovery 10.0 Suite can handle the USB 3.0 if I add a USB 3.0 internal add-in card.

I am looking for recommendations on which drive might work the best with my DELL XPS 9100 computer. Does anyone on the forum have experience or recommendations for this computer / drive setup. Thanks...

Orgbrat

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I may be wrong but I don't think that it matters to the software what the USB transfer rate is. Does the Dell XPS 9100 support USB 3.0? I didn't think any Dell did yet.

BTW, I have a five week old Dell XPS 8100 that's had 19 BSODs to date which includes one today!:mad:

3. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

One can always buy a PCI USB 3.0 card very cheap from eBay!

Kind regards,

KOR!

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

How about a 2 x x2TB Buffalo NAS server thus giving a total capacity of 4TB. The NAS server has 1GB LAN card!

5. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I mean, out of the box, there isn't USB 3.0 support.

6. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

It really depends on what type of connection you want to use and how much you are willing to spend.

The Newegg link is for Sans Digital external storage products in the $100.00 to $200.00 range.
    I own three of the TR4U (USB 2.0) units and absolutely love them, but you might want something with a faster transfer rate; E-SATA, Firewire, or USB 3.0.
    I mention these because of my personal experience with them and the benefits they offer. I really like the build quality and (so far) excellent reliability.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...17&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

7. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The Dell XPS laptops have USB 3.0 ports.

I have an EVGA USB 3.0 card installed in an Inspiron desktop, it works well. Effective "speed" is about 3.5 times faster than USB 2.0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.