Extendia AVG - Test and Evaluation

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by musicman, Aug 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicman

musicman Registered Member

Extendia AVK- Test and Evaluation

Extendia AVG -Evalution and Testing
    Wanted to share this with our members. I had the opportunity to test and evaluate Extendia AVG Single Engine out. I have tested this on my computer, and looking forward to your comments on it. Of course different results will vary I realize this. Appreciate your input. Here is what I found out.
    ==============================================

==========================================
    My OS 98SE - Compaq 5441 - 184RAMS - AMD Processor 476 mghz.
    =========================================
    "Installation" - Installation went smoothed no problems, reboot was not required. This is the first antivirus that did not require a reboot, I am impressed.
    "Resouces"- My resources were at 94% and process in memory was 5,828 kb. This is excellent one of the best I have tested, especially user friendly for older computers.
    Registeration- No problem everything went smoothed.
    "GUI" - Your main interface is user friendly and easy to use for the novice to the advanced user, nicely done!!!
    "Scan C Drive" - I ran a complete scan of my C Drive which took 1 hour and 5 minutes. Now out of 30 antivirus softwares I have tested the average time to scan is about 30 minutes. The fastest scan was Nod32 which took 8 minutes. Your antiviurs checked 13,769 files. I would have to say this is a bit long in my humble opinion.
    "Virus Detection - I compressed in double zip format 30 of the current and 25 of older virus application which I placed on my computer in various files. Your antivirus software detected them all.
    I also had a associate send me via email attachments 6 variant virus applications. (My internet provider was notified ahead of time to allow these to access my pc) Your antivirus software detected them all.
    Now of course the standard Eicar test your software passed with flying colors.

"Trojan Test"
    I wanted to see if your antivirus would detect a trojan simulator test. However after activiating it, your antivirus did not detect it in memory. 99% of all antivirus softwares I tested failed this test.

"CONCLUSION"
    As this is a initial evaluation I must say your antivirus software is a excellent product.
    Oh yes....one dawback I fogot to mention. Now this is only a observation on my part but with your software installed my computer was slowed down a bit. Web pages did not load as fast and other applications were a bit slow on loading.
    This would be the only draw back I found.
    Here is Extendia web site please test for yourselfs.
    http://www.extendia.com/index.asp

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

musicman

Can you post screen captures of the main GUI. It would be of interest to compare this with AVK Pro, in particular the configuration options.

Further I could not find the single-engine version of AVK over at Boomerang's site; http://www.boomerangsoftware.com/ but did find it here; http://www.extendia.com/eXtendiaAVK.htm

eXtendia AVK is still a bargain; $9.95 for Kaspersky 4.5.

3. Sling Shot

Sling Shot Guest

I bought a copy of it too about three weeks ago. It was defintely slowing my machine down while surfing and opening various applications.

From what I can figure, the Extendia AVK single scanner is GData Personal AV version 11.x that has been discontinued. Extendia AVK is version 11.x, well, at least that's what I remember, so I hope I am right.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes, you are correct, Sling Shot, eXtendia AVK is an older GData version which is based on a modified 'older' KAV engine ;)

Can you post any screenshots of the program; we may be able to work out what you need to tweak to speed up things on your computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.