Extended partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by perrantrevan, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perrantrevan

perrantrevan Registered Member

Please help a Disk Director newbie!

I have used DD10 to convert the two FAT32 partitions on my Acer laptop to NTFS.

I've changed the cluster size to the ideal 4k merged and resized them to allow room for another 25GB primary partition for a future Vista installation.

A small 4.8GB primary partition remains with Acer recovery stuff on.

Now I have about 66GB of unallocated space which I would to install Kubuntu on. However, I don't seem able to create an extended partition here. The only options are primary or logical partitions.

Looked at manuals, googled it but no joy!

Perran Trevan

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Perran:

When you create your first logical partition, an extended partition container is created by DD10. It's there but it doesn't appear explicitly in any of the DD10 displays. You can then fill it up with as many logical partitions as you want.

3. perrantrevan

perrantrevan Registered Member

Thanks very much for your help. Now to install Kubuntu!

4. RodM

RodM Registered Member

When you install Kutbuntu, it will install the Grub loader. Do you use ATI OSS? If so, you'll need to boot with the ATI recovery disk and make OSS active, then reboot. This will bring back OSS as your boot loader. Installing Vista seems to be another story.

I'm curious to see who is first to come out with a Vista compatible GUI boot loader. I'm hoping Acronis, since that is the software I bought!

5. kasommer

kasommer Registered Member

I have a question about extended partitons as well. I was experimenting with an Ubuntu installation. After I was was I went to restore my main image. My primary partition had shrunk by 1.8GB (the size of the swap file Ubuntu had created). Using DD10 it appeared as though I had two empty spaces. One was 40 GB, the second was 1.8GB. WIth a separator between them. THe other partion on the drive was Acornis Secure Zone which had my main image.

I banged my head trying to figure out how to get the 1.8GB back into the main empty space.

Only when I loaded Ubuntu live and used gparted could I see and realize there was an extended partition that I had to shrink.

So, why cannot I do that operation in DD10? That capability has been around since partition magic on DOS.

Thanks

6. Scott_Y

Scott_Y Registered Member

It would be helpful if this basic information would be included in the program's Help File.

Hiding the extended partition is very nice for users who do not know about the underlying partition structure.

But anyone familiar with partition structure will expect to create an extended partition before creating a logical drive. And not finding how to do this in DD10, they are stuck.

I spent over an hour in DD10 trying to find how to create an extended partition before turning to this forum. The answer, of course, is very simple: just create a logical partition and the extended partition will be handled automatically. In practice, I like the simplicity of this very much. But it would have been nice to have had such information in the help file to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.