Extended Partition

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I just wiped clean my hard drive ,and created and formatted an extended partition 50GB in size :cool: Thing Is I'm stuck as to what to do now :blink: Do I need to Copy the program files into this partition to install RestoreIT 7 in the extended partition? ofr do I just install it as it is, in this partition that is currently Empty. And to place my Mp3's in the extended partition, is it best to Copy the My Documents\MyMusic Folder into the Extended partition so I can ask windows Media Player to access from there?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Could you please explain how's your computer setup?

Drive C, then another drive with 50Gb space? Is that it?
    You can install the program anywhere you want - files and folders will reside where you put them, save maybe temp files, logs and such, which may go into local settings, but registry keys will reside on C.

Don't use My ... default folders at all.

Create your own folder called MeMusike (or something) and just place your files there, they will play regardless of where they are.

Mrk

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I have a 150Gb hard drive, and I have spit this in 2 partitions ,so I now have Primary Partition 100GB Local Disk [C:] and extended partition 50GB Local Disk [F:] RestoreIT Instructions say for best results install onto extended partition. My Mp3's are all backed up onto DVD 16GB so far. So I will now create some folders in the Local Disk [F:] for Music/Photos/ Etc.. and Copy the Mp3s into those Folders? is this correct? and when RestoreIT asks for the direction to install I will choose Local Disk [F:] and it will work fine? o_O will this protect then just the [F:] Disk, or both [C:] and [F:]?

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I really don't know how RestoreIT works.
    If it protects partitions, it will do the work. If they recommend to install it on a non-OS partition, then go ahead. As to your personal files and folders, there is no meaning where you place them, although it is recommended to keep them away from the OS, for sake of functionality, performance and backup.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.