ext4 on Ubuntu Jaunty x64

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Arup, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

Running since the release of Jaunty. Absolutely no issues whatsoever.

As you can see from screen, my boot partition is ext4 as well.

Attached Files:

2. tlu

tlu Guest

Arup,

did you notice the same performance improvements I did? Did you do a fresh install of jaunty or did you convert ext3 to ext4?

3. Arup

Arup Guest

tlu,

I converted ext3 to ext 4 as I had to re-size and that's not advisable currently on ext4 partitions. I find the boot time and login window load time to have improved, also file transfer of large files, editing movies has improved as well.

4. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

I started with Ubuntu 8.10 and ext2(which I thought was ext3). I have now UPGRADED
    to Ubuntu 9.04. I used the following command to change to ext3:
    sudo tune2fs -j /dev/sdb1.
    From the gentleman that gave me this command said that this would create a journal
    and convert to ext3. Which it did.

Now my question:
    Will I be able in the future upgrading Ubuntu to use this same command to change to ext4o_Oo_O
    Thanks for any help.

5. Arup

Arup Guest

Does GParted show your partitions to be ext4. You have to do it from live CD, also upgrade fstab entry from ext2 to ext4 and then do grub-install

6. tlu

tlu Guest

See, e.g., here.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Arup, thanks for your confirmation. I also observed that apps start faster, and Kmail reacts considerably smoother than before.

8. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Thank you Arup and Tlu for your responses.
    I haven't tried your suggestions yet as I have an opportunity that your are probably not
    aware of. My system is a triple boot one; Windows Vista (partition1) and XP Pro(partition 2)
    on a Sata hd. Ubuntu is on another Sata hd by itself. I used Easybcd to handle the
    boot problems. I think doing as suggested might foul up the MBR.

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Thats correct, EBCD might not in all probability handle ext4 rendering your system unbootable, at best it might just not recognize your Ubuntu partition.

10. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I have Jaunty installed in Virtual Box right now (on Fedora) and I like it a LOT. I have seriously pondered getting rid of my Fedora partition and replacing it with Jaunty. However, I think I will stick with Fedora for three reasons:

1) SELinux is enabled by default, so there is no need to download a hardened kernel, then get all the SELinux policies setup, etc. as one needs to do on Ubuntu.

2) Whole disk encryption is an option on the standard Fedora install. With Ubuntu, one needs the alternate CD.

3) I like KDE better than Gnome, and Fedora 10 KDE is excellent. I never liked the way Kubuntu does KDE.

4) Fedora 11 will ship with ext4 as the default filesystem, and considering it comes out in May, I will just wait. Ext4 is the big reason I like Jaunty.

11. tlu

tlu Guest

Does anybody know if Super Grub Disk supports ext4? I couldn't find a hint in the SGD forum.

12. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

tlu, now that you mention it.... neither have I.

13. tlu

tlu Guest

So ATM if something goes wrong we have to repair Grub manually by using a Jaunty Live CD.

14. FluxGFX

oh hell... I might as well just do a backup of my HD.

15. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

You could just make a separate /boot partition and format it to ext3. That will solve any issue of the various GRUB disks not recognizing ext4. Of course, this only applies to those who haven't yet installed Ubuntu or don't wish to reinstall.

16. FluxGFX

bahh.... I haven't ran in that problem yet. But I think like mentioned above will make a backup.

17. tlu

tlu Guest

You should use this Clonezilla version that is compatible with ext4. You have to chose the expert mode and then the -q2 option.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity: Is anybody aware of other imaging programs that support ext4?

18. FluxGFX

CloneZilla <- Ok that's interesting. But I thought that Acronis True Image also support Linux ext4? (ok I might way off on that one).

19. tlu

tlu Guest

Not yet! Besides, please note what Mrk wrote here:

He describes how to change the inode size, though. This helps for ext3 but doesn't solve the problem concerning ext4.

EDIT: Just found this post - ATI 2009 should now support 256-byte inodes for ext3.

EDIT2: It just came to my mind that it's probably also wise to download the latest version of SystemRescueCD ...

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
  20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Arup,

For you 1GB of linux-swap is more than sufficient... ;)

21. FluxGFX

tlu, yeah I noted that when I was reading on Acronis True Image, I've been discussing this with one of the support developpers at Acronis and there should be something coming out soon for Linux.

>.> crossfingers! I also saw ATI 2009.... I'll give it a shot with CloneZilla and then ATI 2009.

Mind you I have an external drive to where I dump my backups on.

rdsu, I don't bother with the swap file anymore... I have a spare disk of 40gb that's use just for that, but I barely use it.

22. Arup

Arup Guest

True but I have enough space as I have a 2TB disk and therefore I make sure Linux has enough swap space to avoid any hibernation issues.

23. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

After the boot delay problem due to installing my old hard drives in a tower
    containing brand new motherboard (Intel DP45SG) etc. and not having found
    a solution to the 15 odd second boot to splash delay, incl. trying different
    boot parameters pci=nomsi etc.etc. (see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=240642),
    I am keen to try Jaunty as well, and intend to download and install the 64 bit version (a first for me),
    in an empty 30 GBpartition on my sdb hdd which also holds Hardy. See screenshot.
    Will Grub be Ok if I use ext4 for Jaunty taking into account my present setup ?
    (I certainly don't want to get rid of Hardy as besides the boot delay, it runs
    very well).

Attached Files:

24. Arup

Arup Guest

Since you are dual booting with WinXP, that means MBR needs to get written to ntfs, I would not reccommend ext4 in this case.

25. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thank you, do you mean only a separate /boot partition should be ext3 and the
    others can be ext4 ? Or should everything preferably be ext3 ?

I have the need to post a 15 sec. bootchart ... :D ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.