"Express Resize" Results in Wiped Partition, Undo Option ? PHD Manager

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by NTemp1, Jun 8, 2015.

1. NTemp1

NTemp1 Registered Member

Hello,

I have just run "Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 Suite" from administrator on a 10+ year old WinXP SP3 computer. I used the "Express Resize" option to move about 10GB from the C: partition to the D: partition.

Before___________:___ C: 68 GB ___ D: 81 GB
    Intended Result__:___ C: 58 GB ___ D: 91 GB

After "Apply" the computer restarted and the operation proceeded pre-windows resulting in a bad block (or sector?) warning. I heeded the warning and opted to cancel the operation, however after login to WinXP the D: partition has been erased, and the C partition now shows 58 GB. There is an unallocated 10GB partition above this.

Actual Result____:___ C: 58 GB ___ Unallocated 10 GB

The Undo option is not active.

Is there any way to undo this operation and restore the D: partition ?.

This is not critical, it is a backup computer and I can rebuild the data on the D: partition from another computer, however I would like to know if the partition is recoverable for future reference.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Probably the result of cancelling the operation.

You will likely be able to use the partition recovery module from paragon boot media.

3. NTemp1

NTemp1 Registered Member

The warning was clear that proceeding with the re-partition could lead to serious damage, it did not indicate that cancelling the re-partition could do so. In my experience reversing/cancelling an operation like this is something that a partition manager program is designed to do in a robust way.

I can set up a recovery CD with the Tools/"Recovery Media Builder" (Linux/Dos and WinPE versions available).

Is this what you mean by the partition recovery module ?

Is it necessary to do this before a re-partitioning attempt in order to have a record of the original partition information, or can I proceed at this stage with the D: partition not visible ?

Thank you.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I agree with SIW2 sounds like a Paragon final cya statement.

5. NTemp1

NTemp1 Registered Member

Created recovery bootable flash drive with the Tools/"Recovery Media Builder" and ran.
    It's undelete partition function could not find any second partition, so it appears to be unrecoverable.

Cloud's silver lining: discovered that my 10+ year old WinXP laptop can boot from a USB flashdrive.

There was a + symbol to the left of harddrive in the boot order BIOS options indicating that a submenu can be opened.
    A pre-connected USB flash drive shows in this submenu and can be set at the top of this sublist, before the laptop internal harddrive.
    Building and using bootable media is now much faster than with a CD.

Will now rebuild partition and then copy data from other computer.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.