Export to DVD. Anyone successful with this?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I looked back in the boards archives for info about burning directly to DVD with FDISR and I still see no one doing this. I have DVD burning software yet FDISR refusres to burn directly to DVD. It will burn to CD's no problem but DVD's are another story. I had a problem with this before and didn't get a satisfactory response so I was forced to export a snapshot into a file in "my documents" and then use my DVD burning software to burn that file onto a DVD. I then imported that DVD back onto my system as a new snapshot and it works as I'm typing now in the snap I created from importing from a DVD. However the process was awkward. Does the export to dvd only want to use nero or roxio and all other DVD software is not supported or what? I had a problem like this in feb and still no satisfaction other than doing it the long way.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Stick with the long way. It is safer.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I would never use CD or DVD to store archived snapshots, but I tried it anyway.

I couldn't write an archived snapshot directly to a DVD with the function "EXPORT" either. It gave the error "wrong file name", which is stupid.
    In the past I've done tests with CD's and that worked. Maybe it doesn't work for DVD's.

So I burned an .arx-file on a DVD with "CDBurnerXP Pro 3"
    The writing was OK, but the verification failed quickly, because the size of the source and destination didn't match, but I ignored the failure and continued the test. (I tried it several times and each time the same verification error.)

I used the function "Import" to restore the .arx-file (on DVD) to a new snapshot and I could boot in that snapshot and everything seem to be OK.
    So the "import" function seems to work. :)

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Forget FD-ISR's export to the alternative media (plastic :ouch: ) DVD. Instead i have SUCCESSFULLY burned/restored SEVERAL "FD archives" up to the 4.7 limit on them.

For me Nero Express records the .arx without a hitch (Non-Multisession), and they create a working & complete snapshot after FD-ISR's Copy/Update routine.

I got several i spent this last week making (that would fit :doubt: ) on DVD just in case of emergency.

5. munckman

munckman Registered Member

Exported, set at to a 1492 meg split to a location of my choice. Then burned with nero 6.something. It ended up being two disks and in the import it asked for the correct disk after I put the wrong one in first. Worked well.

Do I understand it correctly that some people here do not trust DVD's or CD's for data backups? That only a hard drive is reliable for any or all data? It is just what it seems like it but I could be wrong. But then I wonder why "They" sell writable media and why ""I"" buy it if it is useless.

6. ErikAlbert

Archives are supposed to be updated and FDISR does that very fast, faster than any existing Image Backup software on condition that archives are stored on HARDDISKS (Only the first archive takes longer).
    Did you try to update an archive on DVD/CD's, using EXPORT, because that's the only way and you can't use copy/update to do this.
    Of course you can update the archive on a harddisk and burn it back on DVD/CD, but that's quite cumbersome.

I use DVD/CD's to store movies, photos, music, ... stuff that belongs on DVD/CD's, because of their large volume.
    Saving personal data and business data on DVD/CD is too risky.
    I never had a harddisk crash, but I had several DVD/CD-crashes.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  7. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I think that I can't write directly to dvd with FDIsr is because you need packet writing software like INcd or sonic DLA and use only DVD-RW dvd's so you can update them incrementally. However, i've not tried this. I don't want to install the packet writing software as it will conflict with other DVD viewing software I have on here. No big loss not having the ability to format cdrw or dvd rw discs. I think they are bad for backups as they fade over time. I've found my way of getting the export to work fine by just the burning with other DVD burning software then copying it it a DVD and then I can import it without errors no problem.

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

There's nothing wrong with copying FD-ISR archives to DVD provided the burning program will handle it. I've used Nero Enterprise Edition for years and it's a real champ 4 me.

With (plastic media) we're restricted to a 4.7 GB cap on capacity i believe but that's OK. I've trimmed some of my 8 snaps down to fit to them.

I'm hesitant with the Export/Import features but thats just me. I burned archives to DVD-R and then returned them again to "100% working snapshots" so i know it works, it's just that i'm not confident of the life expectancy of plastic from deterioration over time, something you don't concern yourself with when storing snapshots/archives to a substitute hard drive disc.

9. munckman

munckman Registered Member

Thanks for everyones' opinions. They are most appreciated but I am left with questions. If plastic media is so unreliable why would anyone use it for their least important data? I would think that if I were to ask "Would everyone please copy their backed up data from say 10 years ago to their present day computer and share with us if it was retrievable or not and also please tell us where that data was stored" what do think the responses be?

My guess would be that the source media would be plastic in the majority of cases. There could be many hard drives that still house that cute picture of your child with the new puppy but I doubt it. You probably have a CD in a box somewhere. Yes, in the Plastic, you may just also have an exported snapshot there too. Possibly an archive as well, regardless how useless they may be. Wait a second; at that point you could just update using a recent export or snap and your up and running just like nothing happened.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  10. ErikAlbert

I think there is a confusion going on here.
    I'm talking about archives in FDISR and you are talking about archiving data for the next 10 years or longer.
    These are two different subjects and have nothing to do with eachother.
    Archiving data for the next 10 years doesn't belong in this forum and you don't use FDISR-archives for that purpose either.

Me and many other members can explain the meaning and usage of archives in FDISR, but archiving DATA is another subject and needs to be discussed in another forum, like "Software & Services". :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.