Explorer .exe.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Red Moon, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hi,
    Im wondering if anybody could explain why explorer.exe needs to connect to the internet.
    Is this normal behaviour.o_O
    Thank you.:thumb:

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Yes it's normal. I think it has to do with Windows searching for relevant terms over the network. Personally I block it with the firewall.

Just make sure it's the MS explorer.exe located in either c:\Windows system32 or c:\Windows SysWOW64 (64 bit O/S).

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thanks for that.:thumb: :thumb:

4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

You're welcome!

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It doesn't... I block it also. The only adverse effect I've noticed is that sometimes when installing programs it makes you wait like a minute before the process continues. I guess Explorer.exe keeps trying to connect out, and it takes it awhile to get the hint that it can't. Afterward the install works just fine.

My rule of thumb... if it's not absolutely vital to the stability or functionality of the program/OS, it doesn't need the access.

6. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

I think that's more of a firewall problem. I noticed this while testing many firewalls with the same programs. Same program was hanging with Comodo firewall while the installation was straight forward with the built in Windows 7 firewall or with the Private Firewall.

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

FWIW, I block explorer (both 32 bit and 64 bit) from www access.

Sometimes I get winy little messages but 99.9% of the time I can continue on my merry way!

8. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Maybe because the other 2 firewalls were simply allowing the action?

9. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Don't think so. I would have noticed it.

10. Seer

Seer Registered Member

One of the examples why explorer needs to connect out is to get these images of my devices -

Untitled.png

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

In the past there was a difference between blocking and dropping/rejecting a packet. Blocking required the application to resend or in general wait. Rejecting was realized by the application, and it stopped trying. No more waiting.

I may have that backwards, but there was a distinct difference in that delay being spoken of when you were given the option.

Haven't paid much attention to my pfSense firewall, but it might be the same there as well as the windows software firewalls.

Sul.

12. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Interesting. Has anyone watched that in action to investigate questions such as:

- Is it phoning home to Microsoft a list of your connected devices every time you go in there?
    - Is it passing a text description of the device, some kind of device ID, a serial number?
    - Is it sending a machine GUID in the lookup so Microsoft can track your connected device history over time?

Edit: Ah, I think finally found the right phrase, "Device Stage". This looks like some introductory material for anyone who is interested:

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/ar...e-device-experience-in-windows-7-updated.aspx

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  13. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I didn't, as I could care less, but according to MS, metadata is submitted by device vendors, by the means of Metadata Authoring Wizard. Here's what they have to say on contents of metadata packages.
    Also, it is possible to disable metadata retrieval here -

181012.png

14. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Thanks for sharing that. Once I got hold of a Windows 7 box I found it as well. This is an area I hadn't previously discovered, and there is a bit more too it than I originally thought. So I'm going to put it on my ToDo list and try to research it more later. FWIW though, with that preference enabled I saw DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe trying to connect to the net rather than Explorer.exe.

Device Metadata Cache
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff541426(v=vs.85).aspx

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.