explorer.exe

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by julio99, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julio99

julio99 Registered Member

Re: explorer.exe

I did what you said and everything went accordingly except when I typed RUN>explorer.exe and then I received an error which I'll post. That second explorer process seems to start when I download something in Firefox.

2. julio99

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Uninstall extensions first and watch. May be some extension doing it. If still there uninstall FF and then delete all folders, profiles, left overs etc. Then re-install latest version nad see if u get it again. If no, add extensions and see it again. ................

Backup ur profile before all this.

4. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Does your Torrent or Sniping tool have some sort of browser integration? I have never used a torrent, but if the second explorer instance is happening when you download maybe the uTorrent is kicking in checking for torrent files.

Or maybe the sniping tool, i take it that's Ebay?

5. julio99

I thought about Utorrent too, because of the "Downloads"but I just downloaded a couple of torrents just to see if I could get it to come up again, but now it won't come up no matter what I do. The Snipping Tool is an accessory that comes with Vista and what it does is allows you a very easy way of making screenshots. Instead of using Paint or Print Screen you just bust out the Snipping tool and you have your Screenshot. Now, above you there's a post from Aigle who thinks I need to uninstall FF. What do you think about that? Is it my next step if I see it again? He also told me to delete my profile, I'm assuming he means my FF profile, and at the bottom he says I should back it up firs. If it's part of the problem, why would I want to back it up? What a struggle. Well, let me know what you think and what you think I need to do if this rears it's ugly head again.

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

You do realize that by RUN>explorer.exe, I mean for you to open a run box from the start menu, or in task manager from the file>run menu. Then, in the run box, you only type in explorer.exe, not the full text of RUN>explorer.exe.

As far as FF is concerned, navigate to your profile, and then rename it by adding something to the beginning or end of it. For example, if your profile directory was something like
    Default.xyz123, rename it to xxDefault.xyz123. Then start FF and a new profile will be created. If the issue exists in this profile, then you may be experiencing something in FF itself. You could then uninstall FF. If your profile is important to you, copy that Default.xyz123 directory somewhare else for the meantime. Reinstall FF just as it comes, then run it and see. If the issue still exists, you must find the trigger for it happening. Surely something must be starting explorer.exe on it's own from within firefox, since firefox appears to be the parent of that instance of explorer.exe. Almost surely if must be an add-on or something you have done since initial install. My default install of FF does not open explorer.exe unless I manually do it, no matter what I download.

Sul.

7. julio99

OK. When I did type explorer.exe in the RUN box by itself my Documents folder opened. That's it. When you open FF don't you have 1 explorer.exe running in Task Manager? I've always got 1 in my Task Manager. I thought the problem was having a second one. Anyway, I went to my profiles folder and browsed it just to take a look. It's quite extensive.

If I rename the Profile folder xxDefault.xyz123 lets say, is that new profile going to contain my bookmarks and some of the extensions or is it going to be brand new with none of the things I had stored in my old profile?

This might be moot as I haven't seen nothing of that 2nd instance for some time now and I've done everything I can think of to bring it up again. I guess I'll wait and see and if it comes up again I'll go through the stages of renaming the profile and then uninstalling,etc,etc... When I rename my profile alls I have to do is put a couple of letters in front of the existing profile and that's enough to change the old one? I just want to make sure I do this right. If I have to save the old profile can I just put it in my Downloads folder for the time being and then when I'm ready to replace the new profile from the fresh install what do I do? Copy it from my Downloads folder where I've had it stored and paste it in the AppData/Roaming directory and overwrite or just delete the new one and replace it with the old one?

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

julio99, if you ever see the second instance of explorer.exe, under firefox.exe again, try this:
    • Using your Process Explorer and making sure that you can see the lower pane (View > Show Lower Pane),
      highlight the explorer.exe below firefox.exe in the Main pane, to see its contents on the Lower pane.
    • Then highlight explorer.exe in the Lower pane, right click and choose Properties. It should open in the Strings tab.
    • Try to determine if the Strings can indicate what programs, add-ons, etc., are associated with this explorer.exe instance and report back.
    Perhaps Sully might be on the right track. Do you use a Firefox add-on similar to IE Tab? I say similar because I use IE Tab in my FF 3.5.2 and it does not open another instance of explorer.exe, but maybe another add-on could.

PS. I found this online Vista: To solve this once and for all... explorer.exe x2 and it sounds somewhat similar to what you are experiencing. Unfortunately, that poster was never answered. Yet, under Firefox's Tools > Options > Main tab, Downloads section - can you describe all your settings there?

9. julio99

Funny you should mention all this, because I've seen that once and for all post and I was praying it got answered, but unfortunately I got burned and so did that poster! Anyway, yes I did have an add-on "New Tab King", but I got rid of it a few hours ago and haven't seen the 2nd explorer.exe since. Did this do it? I don't know, but so far so good. In the Downloads settings under Options in FF the only setting I have is Save files to:C:\users\Randyboy\Randyboy's downloads. That's it.

I'll keep in mind what you said if this cr_p pops up again. So far it hasn't come back. Could I be lucky? Probably not, but we'll see.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

julio99, well, if New Tab King uses explorer.exe to display your most visited sites, perhaps that could be it.

It's very interesting that your Download, Save Files setting is the same one shown in your Post screen capture, under Command line.

Is there a reason why, in Options, you don't select both Show the Downloads window when downloading a file and Close it when all downloads are finished?

11. julio99

I'm curious as to why you think that's interesting. I was using an add on called download status bar and thats why I didn't have those options ticked, but as I read your post I decided to disable that add on too and I ticked both of those options that you mentioned. Now it's getting back to basics instead of using too many add ons. I'll just have to wait andd see how this rolls. I really appreciate yours and everyone's help.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I found it very interesting, because that screen capture told me that something (an add-on perhaps?) had a hook into your Save Files folder setting and that's why I asked why you had not ticked those 2 options.

The more I see New Tab King, especially with its shortcut to My Documents (do you remember seeing that?), the more I believe that add-on was using explorer.exe. Just a hunch.

13. julio99

Yes I do. It was on the left hand side of the page if that's what you're talking about. It's probably a good hunch because as I said it's not been back since, so fingers and everything else is still crossed. I will keep you updated though.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

OK, thanks and take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.