Explorer End Task and PG 1.3

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by siliconman01, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Here is an error report and PG file list where Windows Explorer could not END TASK Outlook 2003. Should not Explorer be able to do so considering the ALLOWS and Options set on Explorer?

Attached Files:

2. siliconman01

Error Report

Attached Files:

3. reneighd

reneighd Registered Member

hi siliconman01, did you try disabling "block endtask from terminating application" from "General Protection Option"?

aloha,
    reneighd

4. siliconman01

Hey reneigd. Thanks for the comeback on this.

I looked at disabling "block endtask from terminating application"; however, doing so will affect all programs in the list (I think). Task Manager can terminate when it has Terminate privileges.

Windows Explorer is given Terminate privileges so it should be able to Terminate any program in the list...Outlook is in the list. I wondering if Explorer doesn't call in some other module to its work of termination and that module needs to be in the list with Terminate privileges.

This was happening in previous versions as well. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

5. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

We were thinking of adding "Allow End Task" to the options for each process but since End Task rarely ever occurs we didn't know if it would be an issue.

We might add this for a future version.

-Jason-

6. siliconman01

Please consider adding it. Not having it for Windows Explorer makes for a somewhat "sloppy" way to resolve the issue when it occurs. The only way I've found to get out of this system situtation is to:

1. Disable PG to allow the End Task to proceed.
    or
    2. Reboot system.

You might find it happens more frequently on user systems than you think...particularly with users who are beta testers, frequent trial program downloaders, etc.

7. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Call me a devil's advocate here, but you could simply hard-code PG so that it always let Explorer.exe perform "end task", even with the "block end task" option enabled (but of course, you'd have to let the user know in the doc).

OK, enough programming anathema for now.

8. siliconman01

Will this issue be addressed in the impending new verison of PG?

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have outlook.exe(2002) protected, as well as the defaults on explorer.exe, and don't have any issues. Wouldn't think 2002 to 2003 on outlook.exe would make much difference.

10. Peter2150

This thread brings up a question for Jason. Looking at Silconman01's protection list, I see he has almost every exe in AOL protected. I have only protected 3, Waol.exe,ASCD.exe, and AOLMediaplaybackcontrol.exe.

My reason for chosing these, and no others, is watching in Port Explorer, these are the only exe's ever establishing any ports, both internally,and to the internet. Could there be any reason an attacker would go after the others??

11. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Well i will back up siliconman01 on this issue, as i have been getting this problem as well with programmes trying to terminate using end task, and i would like to see [allow end task] being added for each process.
    If it cannot be added in the next release due to the time scale that u work to, please, please, let it be released in a up and coming version of pg.

thanks

the mul

12. siliconman01

Peter2150,

Just for info concerning AOL and modules I have protected---

I am a beta tester for AOL 9.0 Optimized which is soon to see a new release. With each new beta build, I put AOL through as many of the test procedures, hot fix trials, and other procedures as possible. Some of the infrequently used AOL routines such as hot fixes ripple through the AOL software and cause PG to bark. So in order to not conflict with AOL testing, I am a bit "over protective" in respect to what is added to PG. *puppy*

13. Peter2150

Thanks Siliconman01. Appreciate the info. AOL software occasionally causes me to bark also. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.