Explore Xen virtualization with Xen Live CD

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Do you fancy Xen, but don't have the courage, the expertise or the right resources to try? No worries. I have written an article introducing Xen Live CD, which allows testing a preconfigured Xen virtualization setup on top of Debian 5 Lenny in a live session.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/xen-livecd.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Mrk,

When I used the command, dd if=livecd-xen-3.2-0.8.2-i386.iso of=/dev/sde to burn the Xen .iso image to a plugged in (unmounted) unformatted 8GB USB flash drive, and used the plopbootmgr .iso burned to CD to transfer control to the USB for booting - all I got was one line of progress dots + a few more on the second line and then nothing. This was the same output I got with the quantOS .iso, quantos-201101.iso, burned to an 8GB USB in the same way.

Is there another way to burn the .iso image for Xen to an USB that I should be following? For example, should the USB be formatted or unformatted, have an MBR or not, and have a partition or not formatted to a particular filesystem specification type?

Note: The TAILS .iso, tails-i386-0.7.2.iso, works (boots up properly) via using the dd command as referenced above via the plop boot mgr, but not these two (xen and quantOS).

Tia,

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.