Explore Image When Using Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Boomer, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boomer

Boomer Registered Member

Can one explore an image when they use the boot disk? I've combed the manual and it doesn't mention a prohibititon when using the boot disk. However, I note when starting True Image 7 from within Windows XP, I have the options within the Disk Image Menu to "Explore an Image" and to "Unplug an Image", which I have used successfully in the past. However, if I use the boot disk, the two options are absent. The Disk Image area has only "Create Image" and "Restore Image" in the Disk Image area. It sure would be nice if the option to explore an image was available from a boot disk start up as well.

2. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

The Explore Image function creates a VD in the Win environment which gives us the capability to restore files on an individual basis. The Unplug function "deletes" the VD which can also be done by right-clicking the drive in say MyComputer and choosing Unplug. For the most part when we are needing to do a restore function from bootable media there is absolutely no need to create a VD. We are restoring entire partition(s) or HDD(s). If you have the need to see what it is that you are restoring from then you need to explore that image in Win right after creation. I have never been in a situation when restoring from bootable media that I had time to, or even cared to, look at my source. If like some people (I used to be included in this group) you are going to do all of your image creations and restores from bootable media and you want to explore your images, that one function will have to be done in Win. *puppy*

3. Boomer

Boomer Registered Member

I wouldn't want to search the image just to see what the image was. I would want to use elements within the image.

Let's say, for example, the NT boot kernel became corrupted in an XP installation. XP would not want to boot, so I couldn't get into Windows to do any VD manipulations. The easy solution would be to boot up with the TI boot disk, search the image for /system32/ntoskrnl.exe and copy it into the existing installation.

Why would this be so hard to fatrhom? I can think of many reasons I would want to be able to access the image and to use portions of it... Just because I can't do it doesn't mean there aren't logical reasons for wanting to do it.

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Boomer

mike_wells is only telling you as it is, and it is wrote some where about the limitations of the BootDisk, not having some bits in it. [don't ask where? but it is somewhere]

Could you explain how Ti can mount a 3gb VD [or much bigger Image in a lot of cases] please in memory and then let you explore it? [it has locks the drive to take full control]

As I would find it very interesting and gain some knowledge.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

Your "logic" escapes me. First off, if you know anything at all about XP you know that you can get the message you described whether or not that file is missing or corrupt There is a lot left to be desired in M$ error messages especially at boot time. Next, why look for a needle in a haystack to come up with some "logical" reason why you would need a VD created off of bootable media. Your scenario is rare at best. 99.9% of the time we are doing something much more serious when we do a restore from bootable media than replacing 1 single file! We all could write pages on what Acronis, M$, Symantec, etc., etc., should or could have done by why do so. The software is as designed. Accept it for what it is and get the most out of it. Enough said! *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.