Explore Image - Cannot assign a drive letter

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Techman5, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techman5

Techman5 Registered Member

I have previously successfully used Acronis to recover a whole disk. However, when trying to recover an individual file, it doesn't work.

I am using the Explore Image option and get the following fatal error:

"Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the image archive."

My backup is on a NAS drive, and I am trying to restore a file onto the C: drive of the PC from which the backup was created. The PC is running Windows XP Home, and the Acronis version is 8.0 build 796.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Techman5,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Please copy the archive to internal hard drive or to another share and connect the image as a virtual drive. Let us know the results.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

3. Techman5

Techman5 Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I've copied the .tib file onto my C: drive. I'm not sure what you meant by assign a virtual drive.

I got the same error as before when trying to open the copied tib file.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Use the TI Mount command. It should mount the image as a virtual drive; it will show up as Drive X: in Windows Explorer. X represents the first free drive letter on your system that the Mount command finds.

5. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Seekforever is correct this should work.

As usual it is forum users to the rescue rather than Acronis Support.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Techman5,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image 8.0

First of all please make sure that you are using the latest build of the program 893. Check it in Help -> About. You can always download the latest build of the program from your account under Registered Products.

Make sure that Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer is Enabled in Device Manager (Right-click on MY Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Unfold Acronis Devices -> Right-click on Acronis Devices -> Select Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer -> Choose Enabled).

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.