Exploit Byte Verify & Others..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Jim K., Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim K.

Jim K. Guest

I have repeatedly picked up nasties (I guess Java byte verify is considered a trojan) -- while I'll admit it -- surfing high risk areas.

My McAfee detects it and then tells me most of the time that it cannot delete it, clean it, or quarantine it. Sometimes McAfee catches some some of them, and deletes some of them, but misses some and can't handle others.

The following don't find it at all: A2, Ewido, Adaware, Microsoft AT, Yahoo AT, Housecall, Bitdefender on demand.

And Panda on demand scanner then finds it and deletes it every time.

At first I kept thinking it was a fluke, but it was not. Next I'll try the KAV on-demand Beta.

But right now in my own limited and personal experience, Panda does what the other do not.

Is Panda just better?

Why does the resident guru not test Panda?

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hmm...KAV also detects that Trojan.

Y'see, its best that as soon as McAfee detects it, you clear your browser cache and history. When your done with that, scan with McAfee and let it remove all that it can remove. Then, reboot into safe mode and do it again. That should remove it from your PC fully :)

Regards,
    Firecat

3. Jim K.

Jim K. Guest

Firecat, thank you for your reply.

Is there a way to prevent this type of virus from getting in in the first place?

In this case, since it seems to attach to Java somehow, I wanted to simply turn Java off. But apparently, this cannot be done with the newest version of Java.

I have Adaware SE Plus, McAfee AV, Microsoft AT, SpywareBlaster, Spyware Guard, and that's all I can think of...

Would Antihook have blocked it?

What would block it?

Thanks.

4. Firecat

I believe that ByteVerify uses the exploit mentioned here to get into your PC:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-011.mspx

You should update your Windows always, in order to plug the expolits.

Visit the page above, that should be good enough to plug the exploit that let ByteVerify into your PC.

Regards,
    Firecat :)

5. Firecat

Oh ya I must say that Panda is often underestimated amongst AVs, but its detection is VERY good. Many magazine reviews put it down b'coz they test the Titanium edition and ramble about how its not very configurable (i.e not too many options to choose from etc.).

I believe that Panda makes two products for a reason - Titanium for the 'install-and-forget' users and Platinum for the techies :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.