EXPLAIN THIS BEWILDERINGNESS

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by DVD+R, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

So Anyway after a week or so with running FD-ISR and no problems on Vista, I decide to install XP ( just to play about with) on an empty snapshot, Everything went fine untill XP had done the preliminary files setup installation, then the Wierdness happened :blink: After XP rebooted itself I get NTLDR missing, and a deck of cards dancing about on my screen :blink: Well the symbol shapes of a deck of cards anyway, such as Hearts/Spades/Diamonds/Clubs :blink: all jumping about a flashing on my screen with the NTDLR missing message. I reintalled Vista into the empty snapshot as XP wouldnt do so, and after installing FD-ISR my previous snaps were still there, but I couldnt boot to them, the pre-boot screen wouldnt show up on rebooting my PC and windows just started into the new vista installation, but the previous snaps were stil occupying my drive space :blink:

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You can avoid using an Empty Snapshot, if you do it this way :

1. Backup your winVISTA-system
    2. Install winXP (which will overwrite your winVISTA-system)
    3. Install FDISR and create a winXP-archive
    4. Restore your winVISTA-system
    5. Copy/Update from winXP-archive to new snapshot.

Now you have :
    1. winVISTA-snapshot
    2. winXP-snapshot

My new installation is based on this method and it worked, but I don't have winVISTA, just winXP. :)

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Yes awhile back I had your experience exactly after the first reboot. Follow the above and you should be fine - I think I did it this way.

4. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I thought someone said that if you have both xp and vista on your system, that you have to install xp first then install vista. I'll dig a little for some confirmation on where I read that but I think that helps solve the bootloader issues between the two.

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I started with xp, then vista and had the same problem described when then installing xp to an empty snapshot. Everything went fine, loaded up xp and then after a reboot the snap-shot was dead.

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Wonder if this is fixed in the 3.21 release o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.