Explain please

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by martop, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martop

martop Registered Member

Hi,

I am using the free face book safeonline and it scanned my pc and found a false possitive:

gpg4win-light-2.1.0-svn1407-colin.exe

This is a version of Claws mail for windows.

When I click on the report I am sent to a prevx website review that says :

'Your PC is currently running on Windows 7 and is protected by avast! Antivirus'

I am a little bewildered as to why prevx lifts this information, can someone from prevx explain why and how it got that information and why a security company would need to do so ? :eek:

Thanks.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This data is stored within the Windows Action Center and shown to you so that you would know where to go back to if you want to use your incumbent vendor to correct the issue. Users tend to not know what antivirus software they're using so we try to direct them back to their current vendor if we find an infection. With most vendors (not sure on Avast), we show a link directly to their support page to try to solve the problem directly.

(Also, from our central database, it looks like that file was detected only by heightened heuristics - you can try lowering your heuristic settings, but the file should be trusted now).

Let me know if you have any questions! :)

3. martop

martop Registered Member

Hi,

Thank you for replying, very informative :)

I guess there will be false positives with any type of scanner, however I would rather have a few of those, at least then they can be checked in more detail rather than skipped.

I will have a play with the settings as there has been some great advice given on this forum.

So far prevx works fine with online armor and its 'run safe mode' ( restricted rights ).

Thanks again.

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Allow me to hijack this thread.

When SafeOnline takes the user to the web page reported here, it is also shown the username of the person in question, be it real name or not.
    It shouldn't, in my honest opinion.

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

The information reported is only visible to you and the URL is unique every time. The data is not stored for longer than the scan/analysis phase and we don't use it for anything but showing the user information on potential threats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.