Expert Rules - Blocking

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Whynot, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whynot

Whynot Registered Member

HI,
    I've set up my "Expert Rules" for outlook to allow ports 25, 53, 110 and 119. All others are blocked by rule. My problem arises when in some e-mails I get hyperlinks which are not accessible unless I disable my block rule, but in other hyperlinks (with the block rule enabled) it functions OK. Anyone help with this please ?
    Cheers

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

So, links in some messages work fine, but links in some others don't, right?

Then we'd need more specific information. There has to be a difference in circumstances between those that work and those that don't.

Exactly what alert messages are generated when a link doesn't work? (We may actually need to see full examples of working message/links and non-working ones to find the specific pattern.)

3. Red_Dwarf

Red_Dwarf Registered Member

:) Hi whynot,

Got more info here please.

What version of outlook?
    What firewall

Just as a thought you may need to allow outbound port 80

Just need more info, as LowWatermark said

Red Dwarf

4. Whynot

Whynot Registered Member

Hi Guys, sorry 'bout delay in getting back - too sick to move.
    Outlook version 2002 (10.2627.2625), ZA Pro 4.5
    All cookies blocked except session cookies.
    Ad blocking- All
    Mobile code- none
    Internet Security Zone-medium, allow broadcast/multicast
    Program Control-MS Outlook-Options-Expert Rules-Allow TCP 25,UDP 53, TCP 110, TCP 119, Block ANY
    Anything else ?
    Cheers

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, yes actually...

Since you can click on links in some messages and get the desired results, but can not in others, we need to try to find a pattern - what's different about these messages. The first thing is to look at the exact block-alert messages for those that don't work. Next, we may need to analyze the difference between messages whose links work and those that don't...

It could be a lot of different things at play here.

6. Whynot

Whynot Registered Member

Hi guys, I think I've solved my problem. All attempts that were blocked were to port 80 - gee, it's amazing what looking at your logs will show ;)
    I usually bang on my head with a two-an-a-half pound mallet for problem solving, guess I'll have'ta use a fourteen pound double hander now. Apologies for wasting your time :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.