Experience with NTI ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by RAD, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Back in the Win98 days, I was using an imaging software by NTI called "Backup Now!". It worked well, as I remember, and I only went away from it when I switched to Vista; Backup Now! was not Vista compatable.

Now, I see they have updated the program, and it looks pretty good, but I rarely hear it mentioned along side the other well-known disk backup and image programs. I don't see anything good or bad.

But they have been around a long time. Any experiences lately ?

2. axial

axial Registered Member

I had a very good experience with them, ordering one of their other tools, about 15 months ago.

The CD arrived damaged, so I phoned for a replacement. Got through to a support person immediately. They were very accommodating; if I remember correctly, they even sent a no-charge version of a different utility as compensation for delay.

Only gripe was that I hadn't realized that the tool was shipped CD only, not downloadable (which I suggested to them that they needed to make more clear on their website).

3. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I have been using a real-time backup copy utility from NTI called Shadow 3. I discovered I could upgrade to Shadow 4 for only $20, and it has some more useful features, so went ahead an got it.
    Shadow 3 had been working flawlessly for me for about a year. Version 4 seems to work flawlessly as advertized in my brief (one day) tests so far.
    It is a very convenient file backup that can be set on a schedule, or immediately, every time you change a file. It also stores a selectable number of backup versions.
    Version 4 also comes with a "Ninja" USB drive encryption utility that I haven't tried.
    I just get all excited whenever I find software that actually works as advertized! :D

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Thanks for this information. I received a copy of Shadow 3 with my purchase of a Netgear ReadyNas, and have been using it. It hasn't been flawless, but I'm fairly satisfied with it. I'll take a look at the upgrade. Can you elaborate on the improvements in version 4?

5. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Rather than simple "backup", it also includes a "sync" function, so that you can be sure two storage locations always have exactly the same versions.

There is also a "Ninja" encryption utility.

So far, though, I have just been using it exactly like I used Shadow 3. I haven't used any of the new features at all. The user interface has some slightly different graphics. I actually liked the old graphics better, but that could just be because I am more comfortable with the familiar.

As a practical matter, to me it is not much of an "upgrade", but the extra features might be useful some time. You might be better off getting info about the differences directly from the website, since I haven't really used them much except to verify that they seem to be working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.