expand partition using adjacent unallocated space

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by esmo, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esmo

esmo Registered Member

I accidentally used my Acronis to recover an archive to incorrect destinations. Result is that now my system volume (C:\) is in a partition without enough free space, and the adjacent space which was my original c:\ now shows as unallocated space. Can I expand my current too small c:\ into the adjacent unallocated space, and subsequently resize the newly enlarged partition to get back to the size I want it to be. I would then want to give the free space a drive letter. Of course, it is critical that the computer will continue to boot normally as it does now. Which of the available programs can accomplish this? Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. esmo@bezeqint.net

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

A map of the disk showing the partitions would be useful.

It seems to me that it would be simpler to delete the restored partition and rearrange the partitions as you prefer, using the Windows disk manager (or any partition manager), then restore again the system partition to the correct target partition.

3. esmo

esmo Registered Member

If I delete the partition, there goes my OS, not something I would be happy to do, except as an absolute last resort. I want to keep my machine bootable at all times. Seems to me that if I expand the c:\ partition using all the unallocated space I would would wind up with a disc consisting of one partition which would be a primary and active partition from which I could boot my computer. I could then resize this partition and create another partition in the new unallocated space. Here's a picture of my setup.

Attached Files:

4. Robin A.

I misunderstood you, thought that you had restored an image of C: in the wrong place.

You can extended C: to the left using Partition Manager or Hard Disk Manager. I don´t know if the free Paragon programs will work. Another good alternative is Partition Wizard, which is free. If you don´t have an image backup of C:, it would be a good idea to create such a backup before extending the partition.

Also, it would be safer to do this operation using a boot medium.

5. esmo

esmo Registered Member

You didn't misunderstand. What is presently unallocated space was c:\. Current c:\ was originally f:\. Now what I want confirmed is that if I expand the current c:\ to occupy the entire disc that the machine will still boot, and further that I can then resize the new c:\ and use the new unallocated space to form a new partition. I have a large external hard drive and I plan to make back ups of the contents of important partitions. Please tell me that if I do resize my current c:\partition, and do nothing else, that I will be able to boot as I do now. Thanks

6. Robin A.

It´s of course possible to do this, and the system should boot normally after you resize C: by extending it to the left.

But I can´t "confirm" that the system will boot.

If it doesn´t, it can be "repaired" using the tools available for this, such as Paragon Boot Corrector or the Windows 7 repair disc (assuming you are using Windows 7).

Tools to use: as stated above, you can use Paragon Partition Manager or Hard Disk Manager, or Partition Wizard. All can resize or move partitions. I think it would be safer to work outside of Windows, from a boot medium (CD or USB key).

How would I do it? Working from a boot medium, I would create an image of C: in an external USB disk, delete C:, create two partitions in the unallocated space with the correct sizes, restore the image to the first partition, check that it´s set as "active", and reboot. I would do this using Hard Disk Manager.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.