Exercising your right

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by ssgtmax, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

This message is primarily for U.S. citizens, but it is ultimately applicable to every country where free people vote. I hope it doesn't violate the ban on "politics" in this forum, for it is intended to be apolitical.

Tomorrow, Americans get the opportunity to exercise one of our most cherished rights: the vote. It is a privelege and duty to be rendered most solemnly and privately. Though national and statewide elections garner the great majority of the publicity in a presidential election year, there are literally thousands of other offices (school boards, city councils, and on & on) and other ballot measures to be decided. Many of them can affect your lives for years to come.

Your vote DOES count. Some elections come down to a difference of a handful of ballots. Whatever your political leanings may be, I urge you to express them at your polling place tomorrow.

2. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:cool: Ye old Wildman is a Tsgt (U.S.A.F.) retired, and I endorse the previous message. Let's not forget the men and women who have died to give and preserve us this right. Enough said.

Thanks
    wildman
    :) ;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I voted and I'm glad I did!

4. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

I am glad I voted and reallly glad I voted EARLY!! :D

5. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Hear hear

The whole world is watching you -in anticipation...-

Today is the day to make your opinions count, no matter what they are, no matter what drives you...excercise your right:

GO VOTE !!!

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It doesn't as far as I am concerned and I will do my best in keeping it that way.

As I woke up this AM with a thought on my heart....I was about to post something similar....so Please pardon while I borrow your thread for a moment.

While We as Americans....Teenagers, Mothers, Fathers, Sons and Daughters exercise our God Given right to vote....We do so with the added pressure....of not only peaceful Americans wanting to disrupt our process BUT with the added pressure from those that would love to make the front page news for spilling our highways and byways with red.

Having said that....no matter the hatred or indifference some have for us....Please....Please keep us American earthlings in your thoughts and prayers. We need ALL the mojo we can get from all corners of the Globe during this process.

Thanks

7. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

On behalf of just about everyone in the rest of the world, I'd like to ask Americans to vote on the basis of FOREIGN POLICY (which way is your choice, but remember that WE have to live with the consequences), and to sideline domestic issues until the next election.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Bubba, that was nicely put. :)

Acadia

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi Acadia and everyone,

I know so well what you mean. That said and giving people the right to vote (which is not common on every place on earth) try to vote for the best of the best or to the less worse of the worse. Not voting is not participating.

I am very interesting whats going on today in the US (and the world ;)) but due to a horrible execution this morning of a well know dutch personality in Amsterdam there is (almost) no news yet from US, just only the execution.

The election news will show up of course later this day on radio and tv and I will follow this every minute because I know voting for a US president is voting for what will the world to face in the future.

Regards,

Gerard

10. wildman

:mad: Lord knows there are many times I wish we had better candidates, but I guess I have been to many places where dictators have ruled and the people there wish they had any candidate. Think about it, and then go vote. In my opinion those who do not vote and were able to do so have no right to bitch about how anything is run. Now I am off to my polling place.
    Thanks
    wildman
    :rolleyes: :D

11. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Well Said wildman! I plan to vote ASAP too! ;)

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Well....unfortunately Paul is not here at the moment....Yes....this thread has had just a few dribbles of politics....BUT....as I stated in my first post....I ask all posters to Please attempt to keep Politics out of this thread and any others for that matter. As for deleting your "offending posts"....as you put it....I sincerely Thank You for that.

Now....can we Please keep politics out of this thread and hopefully stick with the intended purpose.....which is....Vote if you want to and don't if you don't want to AND...."May God bless America" during this trying day.

I also ask....for those that wish....to visit the below Political link sticky prominetly displayed at the top of the Forum. Please note the post Paul made and understand my position on this thread also....which can be over ruled by others at anytime....is that we are in a twilight zone with this thread and hopefully it will stay that way....Non Political.

Code:
    Hi Prince and all,

Thanks for posting this . 

To set the record straight:

At times, there's a shimmery twilight zone in regard
    to security/privacy issues and politics; there's no way
    around that. As long as all is focussed on the securiy/privacy
    issue primarly, in essence there's no problem in posting
    over on this board. Our team might intervene in case we
    feel the need to do so.

That said: we don't have a political forum for purely
    political issues - that's our choice, and will remain so.
    Thus, anyone who feels the need to vent political views:
    this board is not the place to be. In this context your post
    is much appreciated.

regards.

paul
    This thread---> Political Links: Where To Go

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  13. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Thanks to all for the heartfelt comments. I think I remained true to the mission of my original post @ its outset: to encourage voting today - while remaining apolitical in my remarks.

I just returned from my usual polling place about 90 minutes ago. Even voting during mid-morning, I noticed an exceptionally large crowd (we have 4-5 precincts in one building). I saw that as an encouraging sign that Americans are taking this election very seriously, as well we should. ;)

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hello all and especially creatures of the Wilders forest that are U.S.A. Citizens,

I voted today at about 1:25 PM EST at my local polling place. Turn out was heavy but all was working well and it took all of 15 minutes to do it. Best to all and I hope your waits were not to long. Bubba makes good point keep it on the vote not on the politics. I am interested in politics but can go elsewhere for that. I am interested in hearing from my friends here about the polling places. When I am at a public place standing in line for anything I just like watching people. Just watch people it's lots of fun.
    :D

15. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

16. wildman

:D :) The demographics of where I live is mostly elderly. My polling place was packed and had been that way since it opened apparently. I am a happy man. Best turn out in years. THANK YOU. Now I am off to watch the T.V. and see some of the results.
    Thanks
    wildman
    :D ;) :-*

17. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    yep....and it hurts my eyes...(up to this point)
    :'(

bedtime

18. jxkruzzn

jxkruzzn Guest

I agree with you there, saddest thing I've seen all day. :'(

19. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I don't understand the point in voting when the Electorial College decides in the end anyways.

20. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm closing this thread now since its main point was for people to just 'get out and vote' regardless of who they were voting for. The polls are closed and the voting is done. All that remains is politics, which we won't be discussing here.

I want to thank everyone for their restraint on this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.