Execution Protection--does it slow down your system when TDS-3 is not running?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by LuckMan212, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

title says it all...does having TDS-3's "execution protection" enabled slow down your system when TDS-3 is *not* running?

reason I ask Is because I would like to from time to time fire up TDS-3 and leave it running in the tray while I open "suspicious" apps, but in general I do not want it slowing down every app I launch when TDS-3 is not running.

I tried reading some of the stickies and didn't see an obvious answer.
    Thanks! :)

2. Etsnuffy

Etsnuffy Registered Member

I can't speak for everyone else but I do not suffer any type of performance hit with the execution protection on and TDS running or not. I personaly would leave the protection on with TDS running. I hope this was of some help.. :)

3. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

really? that's odd. I get a noticable 1-3 second lag when the TDS scanner is enabled. Not too bad but definitely annoying after awhile.

and I have a 3.4ghz P4 with dual Raptors. :doubt:

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Luckman

I don't believe TDS-3 should have any impact on your system when it's NOT running. Now, when you have TDS running, and Execution Protection enabled, you might see a slight slow down, but it's hard to notice, at least on my PC.

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Luckman: :)

It cannot slow your system down when it's not running, as it's no longer checking/protecting.
    It must be running [either in Task Bar or minimised to SysTray] for Exec Protect to work period. :)

So, always leave the Exec Protection 'Installed' and only have TDS running when you want it. [Although why not have it running all the time ;)]

Try it yourself to test. [see pic]
    Go to GRC SITE FOR LEAKTEST

Download the Leaktest [very small only 25kb]... Have TDS running, and try to open Leaktest [Leaktest needs no installing, you can run from within just a folder say on desktop].

Nothing will happen. You will get a notice in TDS like my pic.

Now, CLOSE TDS. Try running Leaktest again. This time it will open [and you get to test your Firewall at same time ;)]
    Oh.... after you click 'Test for Leaks' and your firewall pops up an alert asking to Allow/Permit or Deny access to Internet... say Deny/NO/Do Not Permit... to test it.... If no alert, and then Leaktest comes up with 'able to connect to net' then your firewall fails. Check settings.
    The reason TDS block this file, is it's Trojan Like in actions [note 'Not a trojan'] but still blocks the characteristics of it.

Personally, some may experience a slight delay in opening any program, but I don't think that's a serious problem as I'd rather have a small 1-2 second delay in a program opening than anything opening without a check willy nilly :D I don't experience this myself to any degree..... I have tried with it running and not running, and the difference to me is sooo very small... in milliseconds it would be.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.