EXE Radar Pro running beside AppGuard

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Yes, both are Anti-Executables

But, I find them doing different tasks that the other one does not do.

I'm able to run both of them side by side, with no problem what so ever. But, what I want to know is....

Since ERP is more of a HIPS and AG is more of a policy based Anti-Executable, would this be a useful combo, or am I just wasting my time?

Wouldn't it be the same concept as if I were running Comodo Firewall with AppGuard or lets say InstallGuard (HIPS & Policy Based in one)?

What is your opinion running these two side by side?

2. RSpanky

RSpanky Registered Member

Thanks for posting I was wondering the same thing my self. I was going to try that combo a few months back. Again Thanks for posting

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

AppGuard is based on the concept of a trusted enclave, which is a different security model to an anti-executable based on whitelisting.

AppGuard and ERP can be combined; but as AppGuard already provides strong anti-execute protection against drive-by downloads, unintended software installs, and much more besides, I'm not sure how much additional value there would be in adding an anti-executable to run alongside AppGuard.

The situation with Comodo Firewall is different because its HIPS is designed to strengthen the firewall against leaks.

4. Tyrizian

Sure, no problem:thumb:

5. Tyrizian

I wanted to use EXE Radar Pro to password protect certain processes, monitor processes, as well as confirming digital signatures of files before install.

Since I do switch to install mode once and awhile through AppGuard, I thought it would be nice to have ERP step in as a "last resort/last decision" type of protection.

6. pegr

pegr Registered Member

If you like running both then stay with it. Both are fine applications, either separately or together. :)

7. Tyrizian

So far they run great with each other.

8. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

i never quite understood the usefulness of either of the programs,perhaps somebody would care to explain its uses vis a vis sandboxie or perhaps in conjunction ?

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

AppGuard and ERP provide permanent system-wide protection by means of software restriction. Sandboxie is an application virtualization utility that provides great protection but only for those programs that are run inside the sandbox. Sandboxie is ideally positioned as a browser protection utility and can be usefully combined with either AppGuard or ERP.

10. arsenaloyal

Dont know if anyone has tried either of these programs with sandboxie and would they be compatible with each other.

11. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I use ERP Pro with Sandboxie - no problems at all on my XP system.

12. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I occasionally use Sandboxie with AppGuard on my Windows XP Pro system without any conflicts. I rarely use Sandboxie though because I prefer the system-wide approach of light virtualization to application virtualization.

13. arsenaloyal

Appguard is listed as a known conflict on the sandboxie website,i wonder how you use it...

14. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The conflict was reported as only occurring on 64-bit Windows 7 systems. I'm running 32-bit Windows XP, which probably explains why I've never had any issues.

As the consumer version of AppGuard now supports Power Applications since the conflict with Sandboxie was first reported, Sandboxie executables can now be listed as Power Applications within AppGuard in order to avoid any conflict between the two. From the description given of the conflict and the suggested solution, that should resolve it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  15. arsenaloyal

aah that explains it, i use 64bit OS,and as soo i tried installing appguard,sandboixie stopped working, even adding to power applications did not seem to work.

16. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

You also need to add the SBIE container in user space or add it to user space in Appguard.

Sandboxie processes to add to Power Apps - sandboxiercpss.exe, sandboxiedcomlaunch.exe, sandboxiecrypto.exe

You can move the container to user space by opening Sandboxie Control, dropping down the Sandbox menu and selecting 'Set Sandbox Container' from the list and pick a location on another partition or in the User folder. Done. It will now work with AppGuard.

Or leave the Sandbox in the default location and open AppGuard GUI - go to Guarded Apps tab, press the Settings button, then add, navigate to C:\Sandbox and select. When added to the list click the 'deny access' next to it and a drop down will allow you to select read/write. Click Ok and OK and you're done. AppGuard will then allow apps to write to the container

17. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Good explanation! :thumb:

18. arsenaloyal

Thanks will try and see how it goes :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.