Exclusions of subdirectories

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by thepatman, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thepatman

thepatman Registered Member

This may sound like a pretty basic question, but I can't find the definitive answer anywhwere.

When setting up exclusions for real-time scanning, when selecting a folder that contains subfolders, are the subfolders (and their subfolders, etc.) also excluded from scanning? I'm assuming yes, and I've found the following KB article that describes this behavior for a drive letter:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?pag...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1295451718386

"NOTE: To exclude the contents of an entire drive, the * symbol can be used as a wildcard. For example, to exclude scanning of the entire C:\ drive, you would enter C:\* in the Exclusion: field."

However, I can't find in the documenation (or help when pressing F1) an answer one way or another for folders.

Along the same lines, if you have a folder that you want to exclude, but subfolders you want scanned, what procedure would you follow? (this isn't the case for me, but I'm curious.)

Thanks.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you exclude files in a folder (e.g. c:\folder1\*.*), all files and subfolders will be excluded as well (ie. c:\folder1\file1.ext, c:\folder1\folder2\file1.ext, etc.).

3. thepatman

thepatman Registered Member

That is what I guessed. Thanks for the reply. Is there any documentation that actually states this anywhere?

4. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

5. graymadder

graymadder Registered Member

I needed to add an exclusion as well and I thought to include sub-directories and files you would use C:\Folder1\* and for only files in the folder you would use c:\folder1\*.*.

This is different from what I was told from Eset a couple of years ago. Can anyone tell me the difference between the following exclusions.
    C:\folder1\*.* vs C:\folder1\*

Thanks

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

* and *.* have equal effect, ie. excluding C:\Folder1\* or c:\folder1\*.* will exclude all files in C:\Folder1 and its subfolders.

7. graymadder

graymadder Registered Member

Thank you for the explanation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.