Excluding system restore points

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Earthling, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

My 100GB Vista partition has 15GB allocated to system restore points, which significantly affects archive file size. I would like to exclude these, but is there a way in ATI 11?

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Earthling:

I am forgetting whether you can exclude files in an image with TI version 11. If you can, use the method in post #5 of this thread.

3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Mark can he not just turn off system restore before doing an image, to zero it and then turn it back on after.

Another way would to change the size of system restore in "vssadmin list shadowstorage" I have mine set to 1 gig using vista. ( I always seem to forget to turn off system restore when I make an image and found this works better for me).
    When I copy an image I always clean up temp/unecessay files, clean the registry, clean out a lot of old email, do a disk cleanup, defrag, scan for virus etc. ( I only image once a month).

4. Earthling

Thanks for the suggestions. I used vssadmin to set my System Restore space to its maximum of 15GB and I don't want to turn it off as I would, for a while anyway, lose the ability to restore earlier versions of my files (with ShadowExplorer).

I'll try the suggested method of excluding the vss and let you know how it compares.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  5. Earthling

Wow, worked a treat! Image of C: with the vss space excluded is 20.3GB compared with 25.2GB this morning.

Off topic I know, but if you are using a 'consumer' version of Vista then ShadowExplorer will give you access to all earlier versions of your files for as far back as you have System Restore points available. AFAIK Ultimate and Business have this capability as standard.

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Doug:

Yes, but you will lose the restore points immediately. If you want to keep the restore points on the hard disk but just not include them in your backup image then excluding them is the way to go.

For example, I have 6 GB reserved for VSS storage on my data partition that has previous versions of files going back about 2 months. I find these very useful so I would not want to delete them. However, there is no sense including them in the image because they make the image file larger and they won't survive restoration, so I would exclude them if I could (I can't because TI version 10 doesn't have that feature).

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Out of curiosity, how much space is currently used in the 15 GB of space that you have reseved for VSS? From an elevated command prompt:
    Code:
    vssadmin list shadowstorage
    Is it 4.9 GB?

8. Earthling

Shadow Copy Storage association
    For volume: (C: )\\?\Volume{d1506074-12df-11de-aca5-806e6f6e6963}\
    Shadow Copy Storage volume: (C: )\\?\Volume{d1506074-12df-11de-aca5-806e6f6e69
    63}\
    Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 11.543 GB
    Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 11.943 GB
    Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 15.001 GB

9. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

OK, so when TI does include the VSS files they get compressed substantially from 11.5 GB to 4.9 GB. Just curious -- thanks.

10. Earthling

Yeah, and if Marat is looking in he will have learned something too ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.