Excluding Directories

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Wodahs, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wodahs

Wodahs Registered Member

When I exclude a directory. Will it exclude all subdirectories as well?

I'm running into a rather nasty interaction between Visual FoxPro (VFP), PGP Netshare and NOD32 v3 when working across a network. I can reliably produce BSODs on 2 machines with that combo. It's somewhat timing related because I can somewhat work around it by putting delays into my code.

I suspect PGPfsfd.sys as being the culprit here, and that is what my Minidump also suggests as a cause, but it also references eamon.sys. I turned off NOD32 and the BSOD problem so far have gone away.

I figured the above might be useful to someone so I thought I would post it here.

So I have excluded the root of my encrypted folders and that seems to be working. But I did want to ensure that I really am excluding all the subdirectories when I do that.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It should yes, at least that's how it works for me :)

3. Wodahs

Wodahs Registered Member

Cool thanks for the verification.

So far no more BSODs, but I am still seeing the system hang. Hopefully I can get this worked out soon.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Should the problem persist, do the following:
    - make sure that you have EAV v. 4.0.424 installed
    - set the system to create kernel or complete memory dumps per the instructions here
    - when BSOD occurs, compress the memory dump, upload it to an ftp and PM me the link to it. If you don't have access to an ftp server, let me know and I'll provide you further instructions

5. Wodahs

Wodahs Registered Member

For some reason the main site will only let me download v3 files, it rejects my username and password when I try and DL v4s. (It's just about renewal time.)

The BSODs have gotten worse and that system is now very unstable. I have removed Nod32 as a test and so far it is acting stable, but it's too early to be sure, who do I contact on the password issue for v4?

6. AJStevens

AJStevens Registered Member

In v2.7 there was a specific option on the exclude to be only for that folder or to also include subfolders.

That option is not shown in Version 3 onwards, in fact the exclusion is a lot simpler. By default when you enter in a folder path, I believe it suffixes it with \*.* which I suspect is NOT excluding the subfolders, just all files in that folder.

Instead I've forced it to end \* which should then definately exclude files and subfolders from that folder onwards.

I've been unable to find anything in the manuals or help files to confirm this behaviour.

Either the Reseller you purchased the license from, or if you purchased from Eset directly, use the contact form/details on the website to get in touch with Technical Support or Sales I would imagine.

7. Wodahs

Wodahs Registered Member

Thanks I adjusted the exclusion path to your suggestion.

I was able to get v4 downloaded, it worked today for some odd reason, I am unfortunately still having BSODs. :'(

I PMed Marcos with some additional info. I'll wait and see what he comes up with.

8. AJStevens

AJStevens Registered Member

I would check your event log for any clues. Also, ensure your server is uptodate with firmware and drivers, particularly if you have a RAID.

When we first got our new Windows 2003 Servers (HP), they came with the (then) new SAS drives (the new smaller replacement for SCSI) and were having some troubles with the Exchange server hanging and crashing.

Eventually, discovered it to be an issue with outdated FIRMWARE on the RAID and the DRIVES! This was the first time I discovered hard drives had firmware. I had of course already updated the Windows Drivers for the RAID, also for good measure update the Windows STORPORT Driver as well.

No more hangs or bluescreens after that. I think Eset helped to show up the error as it made the hard drives work a bit harder with the scanning, changing it from an intermittent issue into a more regular one. By intermittent I mean once a month or two. It was quite a nightmare as each time it corrupted the Exchange Info Store and I had to restore from a backup.

Interestingly, the firmware was only available midway through our troubles, so quite likely anyone else with HP SAS drives/Raid also had the issue, but may not realise unless it's an Exchange Server, with AV or similiar heavy hard drive use. Naturally, we're now always checking for new firmware for any device now for our clients and ensuring the latest is loaded.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.