Exceptions are not ignored during scans

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by dazenknights, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dazenknights

dazenknights Registered Member

AVG Anti-Spyware fingers four of my files that I choose to be treated as exceptions. Although I add them to my list of exceptions successfully, they still get fingered everytime I run a scan. Shouldn't my "exceptions" be ignored by AVG Anti-Spyware during subsequent scans, and if not, how do I tell it to ignore them?

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Did you put the bullet point in the correct place for excepting by file path?

Or did you leave it in the selection for exception by threat?

If you are excepting by file path you must have the file name and path exactly correct.

3. dazenknights

Yes. The files are listed in AVG Anti-Spyware's "Exceptions" according to their exact file names and paths. In front of each itemized file path in the list is the word "Ignoring," but none of them are actually ignored during new scans.

4. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Have you manually created the rules? Can you post a screenshot please? Thanks!

5. dazenknights

OK. Here's a screenshot of my "exceptions" that are not being "ignored."

Attached Files:

6. TopperID

Just a thought at this stage, what happens if you attempt to ignore the whole .zip file rather than the specific .exe within it. Does that work?

7. dazenknights

Yes, thank you, that seems to have done the trick. I just edited the file paths--removing the specific EXE files and thus instructing the program to ignore the ZIP files containing them, which it did.

Could this be a minor bug? Any other reports of being unable to instruct AVG Anti-Spyware to ignore a specific file within a ZIP file??

8. TopperID

A .zip file is an archive and archives are a special case. Generally, you would need to delete the whole archive if you had an infected file inside one. Some apps may be able to be selective and deal with specific files in an archive, but AVs often don't, and probably AVG-AS can't either.

If that is the case then it is logical for AVG-AS to only exclude the whole archive - so I wouldn't call it a bug. But I must leave it to someone from the Company to confirm whether that is the case.

9. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Oh, yes, that looks indeed like a bug, will be fixed in the next release!

10. dazenknights

Sounds good to me! ;)

11. pwillener

pwillener Registered Member

A question regarding Exceptions: are these files/paths being exempt from being scanned, or exempt from identified as threats?

12. TopperID

You have a choice of whether to ignore objects by virtue of a threat or by file path.

If you are excepting objects from a 'threat', then I would expect files containing that threat to still be scanned for other things.

If you are excepting objects by virtue of their file path, I would expect them not to be scanned at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.