Excellent TI product review

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by MKairys, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

Thorough and careful review and comparison of TI 9 and Ghost 10:
    Tech Support Alert Drive Imaging Review

(Moderators may choose to relocate this post, as it is a product comparison as well as a review.)

P.S. Gizmo Richards' Tech Support Alert site is a wonderful resource in general.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Gee I can't help laughing. Another "Successful" Symantec support story. I stand by my "Norton doesn't touch my machine" position.

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Pete

I think you may have misread
    The end result is a strong vote for ATI !

4. securityx

securityx Registered Member

Pete, I think you read that wrong.... This is from the review:

Symantec support for Ghost was abysmal; an odyssey of condescending replies, canned responses and the apparent inability of the Indian support staff to understand the English language. Eventually, I wrote a personal letter to the Chairman & CEO of Symantec, John W. Thompson, asking for his help and assistance.

My plea worked and I was put in contact with an “Executive Support” group. They seemed much more anxious to help and started off well by sending me the latest version of Ghost 10.

I was optimistic that with the receipt this new version that the problems I had been experiencing with corrupted Ghost image backups would disappear. Sadly, that was not to be. Even with the latest V10 release I had more invalid backup’s, completely baffling the “Executive Support” group.

After a number of emails back and forth, they adamantly pronounce that not one but BOTH of my U320 SCSI hard drives were broken and needed to be immediately replaced! After expressing my incredulity with this diagnosis, they decided to try blaming the problem on my CPU processor. Anything it seemed other than their product. Their last email to me was pure bathos:

“Do not bother responding to this email as there is nothing else I can help you with and it will not be responded to.”

So much for Symantec "executive" level support. I was clearly on my own.

I think this guy would agree with you.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Securityx

Note I had successful in quotes. That was just exactly what my experience with symantec support was like.

Pete

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It's amazing how Symantec still has an enormous following, and there are many people who are convinced their products are getting competitive again.
    The sad fact of the matter is that they haven't changed a bit simply because they are making a lot of money anyway, and as the saying goes 'the end justifies the means', as long as they are market leaders they will be beyond any criticism.

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Well, I guess they're still a market leader because businesses have a lot invested in them.

After several disappointing experiences w/ Symantec (while having been a loyal customer for years), I too decided I had been s*at upon once too many times by them and I'll NEVER buy another of their products again. They simply don't give a CRAP about us mere consumers and our opinion of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.