Excel File Problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by VIPER99, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VIPER99

VIPER99 Registered Member

Hey all,
    I having a little trouble with an Excel file of a user. It seems that the person was using the file perfectly fine the other day and now it can not be accessed.

I am getting the following prompt when trying to access the file.

" name.xls cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding."

By selecting properties on the file it shows the file is not set to read only, the location where it is at has other files which can be opened so the location is not read only, and I just remote desktoped into the system so the server is responding.
    I attempted to move the file from an NTFS system and that didn't work so it looks like something in the file has been set which prevents it from being viewed.

Anyone have any ideas how to let me view it? Because right now I'm stumped.
    Any assistance would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

3. VIPER99

VIPER99 Registered Member

Thanks for the help Texcritter.

I tried most of the items in the links in an attempt to repair the file. Unforutately none were able to work. I even tried a couple excel recovery programs but they didn't work either. Fortunately we were able to get the file from a backup which is a few days old. So, we were able to get most of the data, but now the user has to redo the work she has done over the last two days.

Thanks anyways though for the post. Hopefully it will help me or someone else out in the future.

4. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

What version of Excel is this?

5. ravin

ravin Registered Member

try a memory dump into another folder. worth a shot here's how - open windows explorer get the "name.xls file in right pane then double click it to open it - when the error displays on the screen pick on my doucments folder in left pane. close explorer and then open my documents and see if the file is there..but smaller in size. this has worked for me in the past on corrupted spanned zip sets.

just trying to help.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.