Excel attachment with password.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by joblin, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joblin

joblin Registered Member

Hello All,
    I have a customer who receives an Excel attachment (.xls) which has a password to prevent unauthorised users from opening it. NOD32 (V4.0) deletes the attachment, if I remove the password the file is left alone - any ideas please?
    Regards,
    Michael

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does ESET report a threat on the file? If so, what's its name?

3. joblin

joblin Registered Member

Marcos,
    No - just deletes it, no virus. If I remove password and email it back to user it goes through fine, can be scanned and opened fine!
    Michael

4. Marcos

Files are deleted only if a threat is reported on them. If you uninstall EAV completely, does the problem cease manifesting?

5. joblin

joblin Registered Member

Marcos,
    Customer has an Excel file on their Desktop which requires a password to open it. File can be scanned and apparently is 'clean'. If I remove password and email it to myself (customer actually) it is able to be received. If I replace the password and email it once again, file is deleted? I did try to replicate this on my own PC however I don't have their file so test is inconclusive, although in my case both files (passworded and not) were received,
    Regards,
    Michael

6. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Are you sure it's eset removing it, and not something server-side?

Jim

7. joblin

joblin Registered Member

No, the indication in the message from NOD is that it has been removed by the Antivirus. Apparently this has happened occaisionally in the past (2.7 installed up until this morning) but since V4.0 nothing is getting past.

I will email my own spreadsheet with password and investigate further tomorrow, naturally I will post findings,
    Michael

8. Marcos

Could you please post the excerpt from the email containing the complete message you've referred to?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.