Ewido: worth paying for the resident scanner?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by AShaR, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Hi all,

I have been using Ewido but as it was the free version, my resident scanner is now no longer functioning. I have been advised by McAfee that no additional AT is necessary as they have very strong detection of trojans but they all say that don't they? ;)

Anyway, I wouldn't dream of not having an active protection when it comes to AV, now am starting to think that trojans deserve the same respect. These days trojans seem to be every bit as much a threat as viruses, at least to the layman. Ok, I have McAfee 8 doing a great job against virus infection and probably a reasonable defence against most trojans too. Just looking for some advice; would the learned here consider it worth paying for a dedicated AT as well? I can read up on other threads about the relative merits of which software has what strengths. Boclean and Ewido seem to be the best bet for a non-techie, only question I have is whether Boclean updates automatically and regularly like Ewido does? I like to set and forget rather than download manually if I can help it. I can be away from the pc for long periods at a time and it's a permanent connection.

2. ,.-

,.- Guest

The real good thing is the MEMORY scanner. That's why you should consider the full version.

3. Trout

Trout Registered Member

You can never go wrong with layered protection IMHO. Boclean or Ewido would make a fine addition to your setup. Boclean does update automatically and regularly.

Hope this helps..... :D

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi AShaR,

McAfee have an excellent detection rate, but ewido also have it against Trojans and another Malware...
    The new incoming version will be very good, and if you like the trial I highly advice you to buy it :)

Regards

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Trojanhunter is also worth looking into. It also has automatic updates and they have a 30 day trial you can take for a spin. You get free updates and upgrades with purchase. I confess that I went with Ewido but came soooo close to going with Trojanhunter, any of the three mentioned here would be an excellant choice. :D

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I did not feel that a free AT provided all the real time protection that I wanted. Don't ask me to justify that, it just is.
    Accordingly, I considered several and finally went with Ewido. I am well pleased with it, and it does not conflict with anything else on my system.

However, on my old computer which I intend to dispose of soon, I downloaded a trial of Trojan Hunter. I like it equally well. Since it is a trial version it does not update except manually from their site. It takes a relatively long time to download the module from there. I assume that the paid version will automatically download updates and do it without causing interruptions.

Assuming I am correct regarding the auto downloads of updates, I like both TH and Ewido equally well. I guess I would let price be the difference.

One could not go wrong with either, and will like whichever one he decides upon.

Jerry

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Ever since I switched to KAV 4.5 and ProcessGuard, none of the ATs (including TFS-3) have detected any malware. So I would opt for PG before any AT addition to McAfee. RegDefend is another product I consider essential.

Of the four ATs, (TH, Ewido, TDS-3, and BOCLean), Ewido has found some tracking cookies, during on-demand scans, that were not uncovered by Ad-aware, Spybot, or any of the other programs I have run. I personally feel that TDS-3 has the most in-depth solution, but I only use it on-demand since it conflicts with many other programs. Sometimes I run Ewido in real-time (as I am now) and sometimes BOClean. Since I have both, I see if either finds something the other misses - but so far no. So Ewido has a minor (but I feel somewhat significan advantage) in its on-demand capabilities. Otherwise, it would be a tough call. Both update very regularly, both use about the same amount of CPU (though there is some discussion about BOClean running alongside PG), and both have decent support (buy BOClean directly from NSClean to be assured of timely updates).

So if you get stuck - flip a coin. It is essentially that close.

Rich

8. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Thanks all, seems that most of you regard a full blown AT as essential apart from rich who reckons PG is more important. I will look into that too, but I don't have an unlimited budget so will need to choose either the AT or Processguard and right now the general advice given to the rank and file is to have a decent AV and AT. Of these, Ewido and Boclean are getting the best current reviews with TH up there as well. I am inclined to go with Ewido if only because I know it won't clash with McAfee which is not great at sitting alongside other programmes.

Anyway, seems like not many here would recommend AV protection alone so thanks for the advice.

9. sinbad370

sinbad370 Registered Member

I had asked a similar question on this forum not to long ago. Everyone was a great help here (thank You). I couldn't decide between BOClean or Ewido; for I own both of them, but I decided to run with Ewido as my resident scanner.
    I went with Ewido because I view BOClean and Ewido as equals for resident scanning abilities but Ewido has a an on demand scanner. Also, keep in mind that Ewido has yearly Sig subscription :( and BOClean is liftime. :D If money is an issue, than you may need to take subscription fees into account.

10. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

sinbad, another thing to take into consideration is Boclean can be used on more than one pc, something which makes it very attractive to me as I have a family pc as well. The fact there is no on demand scanner isn't an issue as ewido free can do that ;)

Only issue which puts me off slightly is it didn't get a great review here:

http://www.anti-trojan-software-reviews.com/

wrt rich's comment that Processguard is a must this is what they had to say about Ewido on that issue :

11. ,.-

,.- Guest

Not 100% correct, see the boclean Eula:

12. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Just reading through some other threads and came across these very helpful comments:

and also:

Some useful advice there for anybody in a similar position to me I guess. looks like I'm pretty well protected by McAfee but if money wasn't an issue I would probably opt for a dedicated AT as well. Still in two minds after reading that. LOL.

Thanks though, very useful advice and I'm still reading up other threads as well.

13. sinbad370

Even though I am using Ewido, I would suggest that you might give BOClean serious consideration. Since money is a concern (as it is with most people), The value added for your situation might tip towards BOClean.

1 - 1/2 price for major Upgrades. I.E> BOClean 5.0. This I think is fair and not a bad thing. Kevin needs to eat, too. ;)
    2 - No annual sig fee.
    3 - As you stated BOClean is allowed on more than one home computer. Big plus.
    4 - I have read that Version 5 is supposed to have an on demand scanner.Can anyone tell me if this is true?

I find that most of the major AT programs are very good. One that also doesn't charge annual sig updates is Trojan Hunter. I don't know what their policy is on major upgrades such as 4.2 to ver 5.0.

As far as the review you are referring to, they mainly don't like the fact that BOClean doesn't have an on demand scanner. I believe that is supposed to be out for version 5. As far as being able to shut it down, that was based (I think) on version 4.11 not version 4.12.

Ken

14. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Ken,

I am leaning towards BOclean now. The intial purchase of 2 Ewido licenses would only work out at a difference of about £8 (I'm in the UK) but the yearly sig fees would be costly on two pc's.

As you have mentioned, BOclean not having an on-demand scanner is not really a handicap as Ewido provide a very good free scanner. Both seem to be high quality ATs and with all my current problems with the kids pc (you can see my various threads all across the boards LOL) I think it might be worth investing in BOclean to safeguard two pc's. Thanks for your time!

15. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

AShaR, whether you buy Ewido or BOClean, rest assured that you will have good extra layer in your protection (i own & like both). The on-demand scanner should not be what decide's it for you, the real-time monitor is by far more important. :)

To Ken: Yes, BOClean 5 (or Anti-Malwarekit, i believe it will be called) wil have an on-demand scanner.

16. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Don,

If it weren't for the cost issue I would probably go for Ewido which I like very much, but when I have to double the costs for two pc's then BOclean seems very attractive with it's option to install on up to 4 machines at the same price. That's a great offer for a top notch AT :)

17. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

It sure is a good offer, i'm somewhat surprised that other vendors does not have something similar to offer. :)

18. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Ah but we have yet to see BOClean 5. It's been talked about since late 2003, yet haven't heard anything about it since.

I have licenses for both. However, I'm using BOClean as my resident AT, has a much lesser impact on my system than Ewido.

19. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

One more question which might seem a bit dumb but I'd like it cleared up anyway before I go ahead and purchase BOClean. On the website there's an option to purchase a download or a CD. The download is the cheaper and quicker option but will there be complications for downloading to 2 different PCs? I ask because on the purchase page it says

Is this extended download necessary to put it on two computers or just extra insurance? Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

20. sinbad370

I have the extended download. You don't really need that though. You can simply download BOClean and burn it to disk. That way you have a backup, plus you can then install it on your other computer. When BOClean does an update such as from 4.11 to 4.12, you send Kevin an email for the upgrade. He will than email it to you. With the extended download, you can simply download the upgrade - with the proper password and name of corse.

No - you don't need extended.

21. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Thanks sinbad, but I have a problem copying files to disk unless I use Nero. If the download to disk fails will I still be able to make two seperate downloads two the different pc's directly?

I assume the password and user name would be sufficient?

22. sinbad370

I think the only download option gives you only a certain amount of time to complete your download;and the extended download is much longer period of time. I used my extended download up to a year after I purchased BOClean. To be on the safe side, you can email BOClean to be certain. They are very good at responding to email. I still would recomend burning a backup. You can us Nero to burn a copy.

With the extended service, you can download it to two seperate computers. Remember to save all you email . They will have you access password and user name on them.

23. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

As previously stated, extended isn't worth it. You can download from the link included in the email for a week I think.

Just download the app, save it to your desktop, install it and burn it to a CD later.

24. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Ok thank you both, that's cleared everything up I will go ahead and purchase.

Final rationale for going with BOClean: It is highly recommended here and seems to be up there with Trojan Hunter, TDS-3, and Ewido performance-wise. Although McAfee means my own pc is fairly safe, I am running Avast! Free on my kids pc which is where most of the problems occur. Ewido and others are wonderful programmes but BOClean is the only cost-effective method for me to run a high quality AT realtime on both pc's. When you start doubling up the cost of every security programme it mounts up. BOClean deserves credit for offering us suffering parents a cheaper option!

25. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Simply COPY to floppy or FlashDrive and then use this to transfer to your second machine.

But even with BOClean it may still be worthwhile using the free Ewido as an on-demand AT file scanner ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.