Ewido Security Suite

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by KERETA, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KERETA

KERETA Guest

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

take a look here link

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Seems to be a trouble filled app. Is that the case?

4. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

No problems here. Have been running this and the prior version (without the resident protector) without any problems and zero false positives on me (unlike Spybot, unlike AdAware and definitely unlike Giant and TDS-3).

5. root

root Registered Member

why would you say trouble filled? I have seen very few problems with Ewido mentioned on the boards I go to. This is one of the most stable new programs I have ever come across.

6. flyrfan111

from the link bigc provided I noticed a lot of complaints about unexplained high cpu usage so I thought it might be an unstable program. That's why I said that, I still downloaded it and am trialing it anyway. I am still unimpressed as it doesn't allow the 14 day trial period the company says you get. Immediately upon restarting after updating it said the trial period was over and background monitoring is no longer available.

7. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I think that some people were having that problem with an earlier version. I have the new Plus version and have no problems at all.

8. flyrfan111

Well I doubt that I will be buying since I can't tell if there is excessive cpu usage without being able to use the background monitoring. If they can't get the trial version to work properly, how can I expect the plus version to work right? At least to me the trial version should be the most trouble free version a company produces as it is what people will use to judge if they will purchase the product. In this case it is a big negative for me.

Editted; I have since received a trial license and am now trialing it, Thanks to fish25. Seems to work so far. No problems with high cpu usage.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  9. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I trialled it for 14 days, it behaved itself so I have now bought a licence. Previously I was using the free version, but I wanted to keep the Guard, the ability to scan in archives and the memory scanner.

It hasn't found anything yet though, so I'm still not sure how it deals with nasties - does it prompt you, or does it go ahead and delete anyway? Does it even keep a record of what it's done? Who knows, because I don't!

10. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Ewido will promt you. While trialing it I have left my computer while Ewido was scanning, came back and had multiple promts waiting for me. I really like how it keeps going and doesn't stop for an answer. It just hold the suspected problem while it moves on. It is also very fast and light on resources. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of Administration options at the moment. I would also like to say that It is very good at cleaning archives, probably the best I have came across so far.

11. flyrfan111

I like it now that the plus version is working, although I have only been using it for a few hours. Actually it is scanning as I am posting and the system is still usable though a bit slower.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  12. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

You should try posting while scanning with Norton Antivirus and see what you think about a slow sytem then...

13. flyrfan111

No thanks I stopped using $ymantec products about 5 years ago and still don't regret it. They are fine for some people but I am not one of them.

14. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

If you want to play around with Ewido, you can get the eicar test files here.

Attached Files:

15. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

So is Ewido a anti virus or anti trojan/worm /malware etc .

16. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

All of the above.

Edit: http://www.puresilence.org/ is interesing
    Thanks SC

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  17. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

thanks for the info .

18. mikel108

mikel108 Guest

I am trying Ewido 3 right now. I still don't like the fact that when updating it just goes back to saying "Start Update" instead of "Update Complete".

Also while scanning it kept finding cookies and reporting them, leaving me to have to constantly click the clean button as I do not want it to clean automatic just in case it is something I think is a false positive. I would rather let Ad-Aware SE do it's thing, and clean the spyware. One of the malwares it found was a popcaploader.dll. If I had let it clean this I would have to reload it when I went to Yahoo to play games.

19. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I am using Ewido for several months alongside Giant Anti-Spyware, ZoneAlarm Pro, and KAV 4.5.104. I am evaluating PG 3.0. I pretty much use it interchangeably with BOClean. BOClean seems to use less resources while Ewido has the on-demand scanner. I am not sure which is better at catching malware. I think they are probably about equal - though different, which is why I use one the backup the other. Both have daily updates and run smoothly on my XP SP2 system.

Rich

20. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Try looking in the bottom left hand corner of the GUI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.