ewido plays nicely with Online Armor?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LuckMan212, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

I was recently at a client, working feverishly to disinfect a heavily infected laptop. The user complained of frequent popups "out of nowhere" and icons littering the desktop even after repeated deletions. The initial Spyware S&D scan found and cleaned over 70 trojans! HijackThis also proved to be useful, as was SpywareBlaster, Autoruns.exe and some manual sifting through the registry. It was one of the worst cases I've ever come across. Finally I was able to get through a full Spybot S&D scan without getting any warnings.

However, several reboots later and even after a "clean bill of health" by Spybot S&D, Ad-aware, and MSAS, the popups continued! :eek: The first popup that would constantly open was to a site called "ad.yieldmanager.com". Google turned up a lot of hits on this. Apparently it's related to something called EliteToolbar (I think). However, I wasn't able to clean this manually using the instructions I found -- perhaps I had a slightly different strain or variant. I decided to download ewido and give it a try -- happily, it instantly found and killed this nasty beast! :D

I have become convinced that I need to buy ewido but I am wondering if it overlaps heavily or conflicts with Online Armor? Reason I ask is I am also waiting patiently for v1.2 of Online Armor to be released as I plan to purchase that to replace Processguard (which I also own but have removed for reasons explained in another post ) So I want to make sure that if I buy ewido now I can still buy Online Armor later and get some benefit from both of them.

Long Story Short...
    Can anyone comment on the compatibility and feature overlap of ewido & Online Armor? Much obliged !

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Ewido is solely an anti-trojan scanner, where Online Armor is a behavior blocker. Online Armor does have a blacklist of known malware for the execution protection, but there is really very little overlap. As for compatibility, I've run them together from the beginning without any problems :)

3. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have Process Guard ,Ewido and Online Armor and all play nice.

4. LuckMan212

Thanks for the quick advice guys, I feel warm and fuzzy inside now :D

5. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Hi Luckman

I presume your browser settings have been hardened ?

6. LuckMan212

Yes ;) , I am always tweaking my settings... I use IE only when necessary and mainly use Firefox. I recently followed some tips from http://www.markusjansson.net/exp.html as well which I have found to be an excellent site for tips on locking down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.