ewido.exe jumps between 3% and 15% while GUI visible

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Defenestration, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Could be due to the skinning engine, if you use one, but it should not be using this much CPU when doing nothing. When it's minimized to a tray icon, ewido.exe uses 0% CPU.

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

You don't know how lucky you are!

With me it is taking up to 50% CPU while visible and around 20% minimized :mad:

The automatic updates don't seem to work either, or rather I'm still waiting to receive one.

Attached Files:

3. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Please both list all security apps you've installed and let me know how much RAM and which CPU

@TopperID

Please additionally attach error.txt and logfile.txt (because of the updates problem)

4. TopperID

Thanks Vincenz.

ZoneAlarm Pro version 6.1.744.001

Kaspersky Personal Pro 5.0.676

Reg Defend 2.001

Process Guard 3.200

CounterSpy 1.5.82

512MB RAM

Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz

I've combined the Error and Logfile into one .txt file for convenience.

I hope that's all the info you need.

Attached Files:

5. Defenestration

KIS 6.0.1.331 without KAH firewall (although the problem happens with every previous version as well)

LnS firewall 2.05p3 with latest beta drivers

SSM 2.1.574 beta

Proxomitron

BOClean 4.21

ewido

512MB RAM

1.2GHz Pentium III-Mobile

On previous occasions I have also had ewido.exe continually using CPU while minimized, but fingers crossed that is not happening at the moment.

6. vinzenz.ewido

Just one more question. Did you use one of the proxy settings?
    (I ask this just to be sure where to search for the problem)

Thank you.

7. TopperID

No, I'm not using any proxy settings.

I've just noticed that ewido is setting data on the !ewido value of the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run

Key at very regular intervals. I've had to make a special rule in RD because I was getting auto blocking without pop-ups and without logging either! Are there any other Keys allowance should be made for?

Another thing, I've noticed that the auto-start for ewido.exe does not appear in some auto-start lists (including ewido's own list!) though it does appear in others - is there a reason for this?

Sorry if these things have been mentioned before.

8. vinzenz.ewido

We're tracking that the key has the value we've set, so if another program tries to unset our autostart we set it again. (If autostart of ewio is enabled by the user)

We're hiding it from or autostart viewer since it would come back if someone deletes it there. The user should use the Traymenu to disable the autostart of ewido(Start with Windows)

BR

9. TopperID

Thanks for the info.

The good news is, I received an automatic update today; it may have been that my FW was blocking it previously? I gave Guard.exe access through my FW, but it hadn't requested access with a pop-up.

CPU has improved too. It is about 0 - 5% with the GUI minimized, but still spikes to 30% when open.

10. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i have the same issues, the high "CPU" when the ewido program's GUI is open, but not when only "Guard" is running.. and with ewido's constantly writing to the registry, in "hklm/software/windows/microsoft/currentversion/run", whether ewido is set to run at startup, or not..

if ewido is set to run at startup, it constantly "adds" the "!ewido" value.. if it is set to not run at startup, it constantly "deletes" the "!ewido" value, when ewido is running.. if ewido is not running, then it doesn't constantly write to the registry..

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  11. RadicalEdward

RadicalEdward Registered Member

I get the gui memory spike too, but fortunatly my machine is a beast so it doesn't affect my preformance much.....everything else seems to be working fine though.

12. vinzenz.ewido

The resident shield/guard does not update anymore, the auto updates are now in the ewido.exe and that is the reason why it runs all the time, also once it has started, it will be much faster available ("started")

One further question, you see spikes in the CPU usage, but do you really feel performance issues? I don't think so.

Ok my PC is a beast too (AMD64 X2 4400+ & 2 GB RAM) and maybe I will never see this big spikes.

But I don't think that you will feel much performance issue. We will take care of it but it will be done some later because we'll do things before. ;)

BR

13. vinzenz.ewido

Hmm interessting. I will take a look at the code for it.

BR

14. RadicalEdward

RadicalEdward Registered Member

Hmm, now that you mention it, no I didn't hahaha:p, guess I was paying to much attention to the task manager.

15. TopperID

No, I don't 'feel' a perferformance hit, it is just something I observe in Process Explorer.
    That explains why Guard.exe did not ask for 'access'. However when I first bootup I am not connected to the net and only connect a few minutes later when I'm ready. Ewido 3.5 used to auto-update soon after connection but ewido 4 seems to take longer to do it - is that correct, or am I imagining it!

16. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I too am seeing ewido.exe cycling between 5-35% CPU utilization continuously on my 2.6 ghertz P4 with 1.5 gbyte DRAM when ewido.exe is minimized. The thing I find interesting is that when I close ewido.exe out and then restart it, this cycling drops to 0-3%. It definitely appears that the longer ewido runs, the worse the CPU utilization gets. My system has been running for 36 hours with ewido running continuously....that's when I started noticing the 5-35% CPU util. After restarting only ewido.exe, it's quiet...continuously. o_O Caches filling upo_O

17. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i am not seeing any high "CPU" with ewido now, but i am still seeing the constant writing to the registry when ewido is running..

18. Defenestration

I also confirm the constant registry access/writing. I was using SysInternals Regmon to check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.