Ewido, BOClean: what does Ewido do that BOClean doesn't?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by brjoon1021, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brjoon1021

brjoon1021 Registered Member

I posted earlier asking which is the best AT program. That thread is still active... I still do not know which to pick, but judging by the fact that both have advocates, they must both be good.

One poster mentioned that Ewido does all that BOClean does plus other things. What other things? What does BOClean not have? This thread is in the same context as the other, I am looking for a real-time trojan scanner. I have BOClean on deman and A2 on demand at this point. My AV is Avast! and it might not be enough on its own; therefore, I am looking to supplement it.
    Thanks,
    B

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  2. muf

muf Registered Member

Ewido has a file scanner. In that you can perform a full scan of your hard drive for nasties. BOClean monitors your systems memory for active nasties. Ewido has this facility as well. The only thing you are getting with Ewido that BOClean doesn't have is the file scanner. BOClean will allow you to scan one file by dragging the file into the upper portion of the open BOClean menu. But BOClean is unable to perform a full system scan.

muf

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Have you checked the BOClean web site main page? http://www.nsclean.com/boclean.html If yes, have you checked online support at the bottom of the main page. The main page explains the program and why they don't have a file scanner. The support page explains the program and philosophy behind it in greater detail including but not limited to installation. It uses less resources than Ewido. With BOClean fully installed you should be fine with Avast.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  4. 5up3rn3wb

5up3rn3wb Guest

I can tell you what Boclean can do that Ewido can't. Boclean will detect many different keyloggers that currently Ewido is still very poor at finding. See Fish25's comments in post #11 in this thread. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=95946
    That's not to say Ewido is bad, but actually I like Ewido more than Boclean myself. Just make sure you have some good keylogger software if you use Ewido for the time being, until future versions of Ewido are realeased, and then the keylogger detection should be greatly improved from what Fish25 says.

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Thats not what Fish25 is saying, he's saying the heuristics are more or less disabled regarding keyloggers, that does not mean they don't detect them via signatures, just like BOClean btw. :)

6. -----

True. But's Ewido's record for detecting commerical official keyloggers is also not exactly stellar.

7. Don Pelotas

I have no idea how it's detectionrate for keyloggers is, can you provide a link?

8. controler

controler Guest

Sometimes it gets tiring responding to the same old questions here at Wilders and at DSLReports.

Maybe what we need is a thread on all the old threads which talk about he same thing over and over again.

My advice to your current setup Avast-BoClean would be just add IceSword for now.

controler

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    The question is valid. Why we started a new thread is unclear to me, but I got no problems with the question.

There are many good AVs but I was also looking for a good security program to plug the gaps that AVs traditionally missed. AVs have improved greatly in the Trojan area this to include keylogging.

However, after much research, several years ago I am speaking of now, I decided BoClean was a needed security App. to assist the AV and cover Trojans and keyloggers. I viewed these types of nasties as even worse then run of the mill Viri.

These evil programs that BoClean watches for steal data, ship in and ship out data and personals and passwords that can rob you of your wealth and destroy your family photos in truely destructive fashion. :mad: BoClean's "father" is very quick to update against latest threats.

A security app. that gives me peace knowing it is real time scanning at all times. It has never let me down. It is worthy of your dollars. It is what I use it is all I need. what more can I say. ;)

10. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

and BOClean is the cheapest in total cost of ownership as there are no annual subscriptions to pay, and the license allows that it can be used on multiple home/family PCs.

You could always compliment BOClean with the free version of Ewido to do your full system scanning.

11. Socio

Socio Registered Member

I am curious about that myself;

The Ewido site states is does provide protection from keyloggers:

Ewido

With Ewido’s reputation I would assume it to be very powerful but would like to see something that shows how it stacks up against others like Boclean in this area.

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Bingo. That says it all!

Acadia

13. -----

There were a few informal tests done here a few months ago. Add Hints by others including fish, And then there are my own internal tests which I do not care to share because they will be attacked by people not pleased with the results.

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thank you for adding this very important forgotten (by me) point. Correct and it also was a decision factor in my selection also. ;)

15. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

BOClean gets enough compliments on this forum already... :)

16. SimonCC

SimonCC Registered Member

Please forgive my ignorance, but for the life of me, I just cannot understand why anyone would pick BO Clean - which effectively only has a realtime scanner - over ewido which has both. I have read BO Cleans website and it does not really provide an adequate explanation as to why it does not provide a scanner; just seems like marketing talk. Ewido is not that much more expensive, its light, powerful and updates regularly (although I have has some update issues recently, which I am resolving).

I might be wrong here, but this hype over BO Clean does not seem warranted.

17. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Memory scanners are better at malware detection than file scanners (which your anti-virus software should be doing anyway) and BOClean is a once-off purchase (Ewido requires annual renewal) which can be used on every computer in a household (Ewido requires multiple licences).

18. SimonCC

SimonCC Registered Member

But Ewido has a memory scanner also, why not just have it all?

Ok, fair enough, it is a cheaper solution, bit im still not convinced its better.

S.

19. Don Pelotas

Because BOClean's developer detests filescanners and think they are useless, in some ways he is right, but nothing wrong with a little extra, i for example removed 4 trojans today with the scanner, the real-time monitor would of course have caught them when them when they would become active, but nice anyway.

BOClean will have a scanner in the next version btw, Kevin has bowed to user wishes.

Yes, Ewido does require annual fee's, but this could very well be why they will around a lot longer & stronger than some others, i think the days of a onetime payment is over if we want strong AT companies. :)

20. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

A2 has a file scanner and it's developer says it's pretty much a gimmic, and I'm not sure Kevin's opinion is much different and that's probably why he's been resisting.

21. muf

muf Registered Member

I've read many times that Kevin feels that file scanning is the job of an AV. Because many are very good at detecting trojans, any files you acquire can be scanned by your AV. But due to the way some trojan authors pack or password protect their trojans then it's sometimes impossible for the AV to see the trojan. Only when the trojan has been executed and is resident in memory can it be detected. This is where BOClean monitors. His take on it from what i read is that scanning should be left to the AV. That's why he's never seen the need for one. But from what i gather, the next version will have one. But only because of public demand. People have been going on at him to include a file scanner that he's finally given in and decided to provide one. Tbh, i agree that file scanning should be the job of an AV. But then that's my opinion. Others may feel the neccessity for having one on their AT of choice. Each to their own.

muf

22. toploader

toploader Registered Member

hi Don - speaking from the perspective of a single user - one of the factors in my purchasing decision is whether one has to constantly fork out filthy lucre on an annual basis. given the choice of two equally good scanners i would choose the cheapest (one time purchase) - if everyone else thought the same way the cheapest would survive and prosper as they would sell many more copies.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  23. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

As a licensed user of Boclean, i must say, that after using it together
    with NOD32 and Kaspersky (1 AV at the time).
    BOclean NEVER found a thing over the years, but NOD32 and Kaspersky always did.
    BEFORE the file is executed it is already found by this AV's
    so Boclean was very useless here.

When i start using Ewido and A2 Personal, it became clear that those really made a diffrence1
    You can really use in addition to your AV!
    And your (good) AV does not completely overlap those like they do with Boclean.
    (it finds a lot more SORTS of malware, and have more and better ways
    of finding those

But now i am testing with the Kaspersky Beta and i think this is really a step forward.

So for me personally, Boclean was a waste of money.
    Another thing i must say, that it is a tool just like TDS was,
    where the program itself did not change (at all/much?) over the years.
    It is out-dated and don't buy it, because you could not try it!

Which i think is not a good sign, with the rapidly changing malware.

Conclusion:
    I am very positive about 4: Nod32, Kaspersky,A2 Personal and Ewido
    and very negative about 1: Boclean.

And important: i am a licensed user of all those products,
    so i am not talking about a product that i have never used.
    I've tested it for years!

24. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Take a look here at the "trojans" covered, particularly the number of CoolWebSearch variants it has in its database.

25. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Even the free AV's can detect those now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.